Curious... Who here hunts, fishes, gardens, preserving, gathers etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I would assume many homebrewers are also into providing other food themselves, such as wild game, fresh garden fruits and vergetables and possibly even wild plants.

My grandfather liked to brew (and distill back in the day) and he had huge gardens and loved to fish and hunt etc. My father did a little of that but mostly just hunts and fishes now. Myself, I was alwasy a hunter and somewhat a fisherman and I just started brewing again about 10 months ago. I now find myself als getting back into gardening, and want to start harvesting wild plants a little as well.

This years I am growing a small vegetable garden, a small herb garden, just planted hops a few months ago. I have a small plum orchard and a few cherry and pear trees that have yet to produce ... oh and a coupel witch hazel bushes.

have been planning on harvesting some maple for years but just seem to forget about it every year.

Next I want to learn how to make preserves and come up with an amazing salsa to can.

Oh and if I ever get a few acres, i might get a bee hive as well.

What about you guys?

Garden & fish for me. I process a lot of wild game for other family members, but don't do the hunting (trade the processing for some of the take).

Small garden and would very much like to get better at canning/preserving. I have planted some roma tomatoes and hoping to get some sun-dried ones outta that batch. There's a lot of experimenting going on at my house this season!

Gathering is probably my favorite thing...blackberries, blueberries and ginseng. I have yet to make a successful jelly or fruit preserve, but I feel like this is my year.

Haven't fished in a long time, but since we bought our first house I've found I have many neighbors with boats so I keep giving them homebrew and am waiting for the invitation that should be coming soon. :D

We also started a little gardening. Didn't have much time with everything that needed to be done with the new house and my daughter's accident, but we have about 6 different varieties of tomato plants, some chili plants, peppers, strawberries, peas and some herbs growing. SWMBO is working on learning how to can so we can start doing that. We have a dehydrator so I plan on drying some of the tomatoes and chilis and putting them up for winter.

I gave up hunting with a gun because I have the worst luck. Years and years I'd go out and never even see a sign of a deer. If I go out unarmed or just with a camera... it's a bambi convention and I'm the guest of honor.

Fishin' - Nope
Huntin' - Nope
Growin' Crops - Nope
Preservin' Said Crops - Nope
Gatherin' - Does my Spoons of Many Nations collection count? Otherwise, Nope

Man, there goes your theory Bill!

Oh? it does? my theory was that there was likely many here who did the same, I didn't say all...

I brew, hunt, fish, garden, hunt shrooms, going to do some canning this year. I don't like sweets enough to make preserves.

Well, canning is preserving, whether it is sugary or not.

I hoping to soon be brewing some of my own crops as well, raspberries, plums, etc. I thin technically, fermenting is a form a preserving, how else am I going to consume the my fall plums all year round?

Fly fish whenever I can:

286-small-cutthroat-caught-royal-wulff.jpg

I fish just about every weekend. I hunt when the season is open, deer, hogs, small game. I have a small garden, and I used to gather wild stuff when i lived up north. Now I am in FL and the woods can be very very thick in the warmer months.

Gardening is great. The next thing I pick up is hunting since just last week a bunch of deer managed to eat every single one of my pepper plants along with the tops of a bunch of tomato plants before deciding they don't care for tomatoes.

Things to buy: shotgun, meat grinder, sausage spices.

I have a garden every year but I am still a wanna be at canning. No hunting or fishing (and I live 30 miles from the bay)

Hunting: Used to but it's just too damn expensive now. Good hunting around here means driving out to a several thousand dollar a year lease.

Fishing: Just can't get into fresh water fishing. When I live by salt water, fishing was what I did.

Gardening: Yes. 128 sq ft of food this year. Will be bigger next year.

Preserve: I dry and freeze stuff.

Gather: If I see it, I get it.

I fish whenever I can.

I love to grow food, herbs, spices, flowers from seed to seed. I start with seed, and harvest seeds from all my plants for the next season. I have only been doing this for a few years but it is really cool to have a little seedbank and see plants grow that have been selectively bred. Cant wait to get a house so I can have more room. I just wished I lived in a warmer climate so I could have an avocado, and other fruit trees.

I have a pretty serious garden, I've had hops for a few years for a buddy of mine as well...
I can also do a fair job of fishing and trapping though my bird trapping needs some serious work...
on top of that I can I've got the sort of basic survivalist back packing skills to get along pretty well in Canada's Northern climes.... but screw that I wanna stick by the beer!

Sounds like the OP is describing YooperBrew.

Yeah, I'm in the "hunter gatherers" category for sure.

Let's see, I:

Hunt (deer mostly, but grouse as well and whatever else comes my way)
Fish
Pick wild fruit
Garden (mostly Bob's job, though!)
Make cheese from fresh goat's milk
Preserve
Make soap and lotions (that's a new hobby)

I think that's about it, at least that I can think of right now. Tonight for dinner, we had bluegill and vegetables from our garden. We didn't have anything bought from a store today. Even the wine was from chokecherries picked two summers ago.

fish (catfish, bluegill, crappie, and smallmouth) and hunt (whitetail)

would like to do a salsa garden but renting right now so I just plant flowers in pots to spruce up the front of our building

I hunt, do limited fishing, garden (hops & vegetables), preserve many varieties of goodies, make jerky, sausage, wine and beer. I am reloading my own shootemup stuff too. Like Yooper, I also make my own laundry detergent. Many of my friends and family think I am nuts (and cheap), but they all enjoy the end products when I offer them up.

Salute! :mug:

LOL- it's not as easy as it sounds!
But I do have a place on a bluegill/bass lake that makes it easier- that's my first tip. Buy a house on a noted blue gill lake. :D

Aha, no WONDER I was having so much trouble! :D

On a more serious note, I'm the only male member of my immediate family who doesn't hunt or fish. I have done both before, but it was never really for me. However, I have no problem visiting my brother and demanding that he haul out some of his elk or smoked salmon and cater to our every whim!

At one point we had a couple of tomato plants on the back patio, but the old homestead at townhouse villa's isn't exactly set up for a garden.

We garden and raise chickens now on a friends property close by.

I fish but not enough. Rarely hunt now only due to lack of land as hunting leases are expensive.

Don't forage much for food besides pecans.

Don't net enough garden produce to can but we are slight preppers; storing enough food/water to last several weeks just encase.

I would love to move to 20 acres or so and expand our chicken raising/gardening/bearing trees. Land is just so expensive unless you get far, far away from the City and we even live in a very poor City.

I'd like to do more hunting, like when I was a kid, and I'd like to have a garden, but I have not been successful at our place. I'd also like to have more time for taking nature walks for gathering stuff. A friend of mine makes a killer Leek Soup with wild leeks and we've talked before about planning a whole day's meals around what we could find growing wild.

I hear cattails are great food and can be eaten many different ways. My problem is that the cattails growing nearest to me are in the roadside ditch, and I'm not interested in having them seasoned with Quaker State!

Now you've got me interested in picking cattails again! And for some strange reason I've always wanted to learn how to make baskets. Weird.

Avid gardener, mostly peppers tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and herbs.

My hops are driving me crazy. Bugs seem to love them.

I may fish more in the future, probably won't ever hunt.

Amazing salsa is:

Fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic from the garden.(and a little salt)

Amazing fresh, but it would still be good canned.

I hunt - fish when I can. I have a ~1000sqft garden that is mostly for canning tomatoes and winter greens (Tuscan kale, radicchio, rapini). I have laying hens. I also have bobwhite quail for dog training. They started laying eggs, too, so I began pickling them (the eggs, not the quail). I've also got fiddleheads at the edge of my property.

They are edible, but far from great.

I wondered. Part of the reason I want to try them is to get a taste and see how they can be prepared. In case of the Zombie Apocalypse.

Fiddleheads are another plant I want to try. If I could only remember when they are sprouting! A friend used to make pickled fiddleheads, and he says they are pretty good. (but then everything pickled tastes nearly the same anyway).

When I was growing up I read "My Side of the Mountain" a few times and always wanted to be the kid who moved to the wilds and lived in a dugout tree with his falcon friend.

Fly fish whenever I can:

286-small-cutthroat-caught-royal-wulff.jpg

please wet your hands before you handle trout (or any fish for that matter). Dry hands will suck up all the "slimy" protective "stuff" that keeps them from getting sick....small things like that can make a huge difference in catch and release survival rates.

Amazing salsa is:

Fresh tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic from the garden.(and a little salt)

Amazing fresh, but it would still be good canned.

the only thing missing is cilantro and a squeeze of lime, that is your basic salsa recipe. I rarely use salt though unless I am using it for something other than nacho chips which are pretty salty already.

Back