My dry hop bag will NOT sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Is this a big deal? I cannot get it to sink. I forgot to weigh it down ( actually never considered that it would be necessary) I sanitized it and put the hops in and tossed it in on friday...I have poked it down with a sanitized rod and it pops right back up.

Ive never used a bag.But i'll say this.When i throw them in they like to float.Some will settle,but not all of them

Drop a stainless steel ball bearing into the bag and it should drop right to the bottom.

Now, making it sit in suspension is a challenge.

OOOOh, I know! Get a second hop bag and put the ball bearing in it. Then tie a string that's half as long as your liquid level is high between the two. It should hang right around the middle.

You may PayPal me your thanks. ;)

I don't use a bag and my dry hops sit up top for the entire week.

Am I doing something wrong?

Could I improve the aroma extraction by doing something different?

I've dryhopped a lot of beers and never worried about getting the bag to sink. Even with it floating on top, I get tons of hop aroma from the dryhops. I have a few bags of marbles I'm going to use next time to see if there's a difference, but I highly doubt it.

I dryhop in my serving kegs, I put the hops into a large herb ball and fasten it to the dip tube with a sanitized zip tie, so it hangs just off the bottom, you could do this with your hop bag, positioning it to prevent it from getting sucked to the dip tube but still keeping it submerged. My beer goes too fast to bother removing the hops before the keg blows.

(all this assumes you keg your beer, otherwise get a stainless bearing or a few glass marbles to submerge the bag in the fermenter)

I use a couple shot glasses in my hop bags to make 'em sink, but as you've found others just let them float.

Back