Info on smoking your own grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
I've been building smokers/smokehouses and smoking/bbqing meat way longer than making beer. I really like smoked porters and want to smoke my own grain. Anyone have any information on doing any of this? Anyone incorporate smoke into anything else? I think there are a lot of beers that might be good with a slight smoke taste.

I haven't done it yet but will be soon. My plan is to smoke as cool as I can, spritzing the grains periodically with water to keep them moist but not wet and turning the grains once in a while. I plan to use Alder. Others report using pear, apple, cherry, beechwood, etc... Not hickory. Too harsh & tastes like bacon. Not sure why that's bad but ??? Beers to smoke? I'm planning a Porter & will smoke 1/2 the base grains. Weizenbock is another one. Hopefully others will pipe in with more spscific info.

I haven't done it yet but will be soon. My plan is to smoke as cool as I can, spritzing the grains periodically with water to keep them moist but not wet and turning the grains once in a while. I plan to use Alder. Others report using pear, apple, cherry, beechwood, etc... Not hickory. Too harsh & tastes like bacon. Not sure why that's bad but ??? Beers to smoke? I'm planning a Porter & will smoke 1/2 the base grains. Weizenbock is another one. Hopefully others will pipe in with more spscific info.

what type of smoker?

I'm going to use a Coleman gas smoker. My biggest concern is the heat. I can usually keep is fairly low & I'll have a spray bottle handy JIC the chips flare up. If you have a way to use cold/cool smoke that's the best way to go from what I understand.

The biggest problem I have with smoking grains is keeping them from falling out of the rolling paper....;)

Denny, you use a pipe. Gotta teach you young dudes everything. Yeah I know brother, you're only 2 years younger than me but it was rough times back in the sixties and sometimes we forget.

Denny, you use a pipe. Gotta teach you young dudes everything. Yeah I know brother, you're only 2 years younger than me but it was rough times back in the sixties and sometimes we forget.

As they say "If you remember the 60s, you weren't there!" ;)

Back