Republic Airways purchases Midwest AND Frontier this week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Well, to say that the aviaiton industry is a gamble and anything can happen... is an understatement.

In the past two days, our airline, Republic Airways, has purchased Frontier Airlines and Midwest Airlines. It was no more than 12 months ago that WE were working for THEM, they hired us to fly routes, now we own 100% of both companies.

It is exciting for us at Republic, to grow from a pseudo regional/contract carrier, to owning two mainline airlines along with 200 of our own aircraft.

It is also understandably a strenuous time for those employees whos futures are in doubt at Midwest and Frontier. I have been through a seniority list merger before, it never goes down quietly, it is never resolved well.

Welcome to the Republic family to all of those from the other two carriers who will be joining us... the future will be an exciting one.

Heard about this today from my Captain buddy. He seems to think his pay will increae by triple when he starts flying the Frontier Airbuses.

I was/am/was a fan of Frontier.

Wow! Thanks for the info... time to do some readin'!

Heard about this today from my Captain buddy. He seems to think his pay will increae by triple when he starts flying the Frontier Airbuses.

I think there will be fences, Bedford isnt going to send E-Jet drivers over to the Bus... and vice versa.

Also, if your captain buddy is here at RP, he wont see a pay increase, and he knows this. The Bus pay scales will be coming down, way down once thier pilots are on our list and contract. Id bet $110-$120 an hour max for us captains.

Just read this myself. JSOnline says the Midwest pilots and flight attendents pay will most likely decrease when they move over to the Republic contract. At least the flights are still going to be there. At the reate it was going I was betting midwest was going to stop flying in the next couple years. I hope you guys will be able to keep it going.

Just read this myself. JSOnline says the Midwest pilots and flight attendents pay will most likely decrease when they move over to the Republic contract. At least the flights are still going to be there. At the reate it was going I was betting midwest was going to stop flying in the next couple years. I hope you guys will be able to keep it going.

This has been in the works for a while, and many think that Delta is behind this to a degree as well. They didnt want to see Midwest fail, and let AirTran gain that market share. If we can save Midwest, and it looks like we are going to expand thier routes, this will put the hammer down on AirTran.

Thier pay will decrease, they will be on our contracts and pay scales, as will the Frontier pilots and FAs. Our contract states that ALL employees of ANY subsidiary MUST be on our master seniority list, so they will fall under our CBA.

Also, considering the condition of both of these airlines financials, I dont think that the seniority list merger is going to be weighted heavily in thier favor. The last time Republic went after an airline, the pilots at the airline they bought, got little to nothing of thier seniority preserved, becuase the courts saw Republic as saving them from going out of business completley. I know... I was one of those guys who lost.

I think there will be fences, Bedford isnt going to send E-Jet drivers over to the Bus... and vice versa.

Also, if your captain buddy is here at RP, he wont see a pay increase, and he knows this. The Bus pay scales will be coming down, way down once thier pilots are on our list and contract. Id bet $110-$120 an hour max for us captains.

He flies for Chatauqua (sp?), out of DC, I believe.

He flies for Chatauqua (sp?), out of DC, I believe.

Still, he wont see his pay doubling. Bedford has said that he plans to run Frontier as a TOTALLY separate airline. Which means thier pilots will not be on our seniority list, or contract, thusly there will be no pilots from Republic Airways Holdings going there.

This is the beginning of what we like to call a whip saw. Our CEO and the current Frontier CEO can now force concessions on the Frontier pilots and FAs by threatening to have us, a separate company, fly thier routes and use our planes and crews if they do not succumb to the pressure.

Midwest will be wholly owned and run by Republic with all of our planes and crews, and those that decide to stay from the current Midwest. Frontier is looking at a whip saw, they are going to be in a world of hurt from this deal. They were just sold out.

Still, he wont see his pay doubling. Bedford has said that he plans to run Frontier as a TOTALLY separate airline. Which means thier pilots will not be on our seniority list, or contract, thusly there will be no pilots from Republic Airways Holdings going there.

This is the beginning of what we like to call a whip saw. Our CEO and the current Frontier CEO can now force concessions on the Frontier pilots and FAs by threatening to have us, a separate company, fly thier routes and use our planes and crews if they do not succumb to the pressure.

Midwest will be wholly owned and run by Republic with all of our planes and crews, and those that decide to stay from the current Midwest. Frontier is looking at a whip saw, they are going to be in a world of hurt from this deal. They were just sold out.

What I meant was that he does in deed fly for Republic, just under the Chatauqua (sp?) banner. I wasn't trying to refute what you stated about the merger not affecting the pay of Republic pilots. As it is, you guys make decent money (as captains). The reason I never pursued an airline career is because I got sick of making peanuts just to build hours.

Back