new to hops growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlebu

Reaction score
I just ordered 4 golding rhizomes and 4 cascades. I have a couple of questions as I am also new to brewing (Just made my first batch can't wait to try it). I have read on here that some have had success with using 5 gallon buckets or some sort of other large containers. I plan on moving within the next three years so I don't want to plant them in the ground. Can I do 2 per bucket, 4? Can I expect to have a yeild next year if I do go the bucket/container route? It obviously won't be as high as if they were in the ground, but will I get anything? Lastly I saw that there is a product called hops line or something similiar looks like twine. I have a lot of unused clothes line, can I use that as a run? Thanks

I'm growing cascades and chinook. I'm using 18 gallon containers (tubs you'd find at WalMart), one rhizome to a container. So far, so good.

[Edit: I drilled about 20 half-inch holes in the bottom of each one. Used 3 cubic feet of potting soil in each tub. Miracle-Gro diluted to quarter strength whenever the green color starts to pale at all...have only had to fertilize once so far.]

f48e7463.jpg
a4052e35.jpg

That looks like an idea, though I think it would be rather costly to pick up 8 of those. I was reading another thread about using planters "bags" that they wrap tree roots in. I was thinking I could use those and build a wooden "planter" around the bag. How tall are your stakes? Don't the hops go 15-20'? I may need to make a trip to walmart tomorrow. thanks for the tip.

Edit: I do remember another thread where someone drilled holes in their containers and ended getting sprouts in various places throughout their yard because the roots exited the holes.

Nah, the tubs weren't expensive. They were $4.50 each at WalMart. You could also use keg tubs.

The poles I'm using are 8 foot cedar 1x2's. There's a metal eyelet screwed into the top of each one, so when the bines get to the top, I just let a little more line out. As long as the bines aren't lying on the ground they're fine. I have the tubs on a footbridge over a drainage ditch, so there's 4 feet or so (plus the approx. 18" height of the tub) of room for them to droop before they hit the ground.

4.50's not bad. I thought that size was like 8-10 bux. I'm gonna head there tomorrow and check them out. I have a couple of days before the rhizomes get here. I was going to just run lines up to a branch on a tree that's about 13' from the ground with some type of pulley so I can just let the line loose to harvest. I got the rest of the wife's garden in so now I can plant something for myself.

If you go the bucket route, just one rhizome per bucket. Otherwise they will be rootbound by next year and growth will be stunted. Rick500 has the right idea. If you don't drill holes in the bottom for drainage the roots will rot.

Latest posts

Back