How do you keep Wyeast smack packs from making a mess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispykid

Reaction score
Over the course of the last few brews that I've done I've been using Wyeast smack packs. The quality of the yeast has been great - big robust fermentations and nice attenuation, but I keep having a problems getting them open.

Every time I use one I feel like I waste a lot because the pressure from inside the smack pack turns the yeast into a water pistol. Any ideas about the best way to cut/slice tear these open without making a mess?

I've never had a problem I just use a pair of scissors and cut the corner. It deflates, and I pour it into my starter vessel. If you squeeze it, I guess it could shoot out (and that definitely happens if you shake the white labs vial and then open it- think yeast shower!) but it should be ok if you open it a small bit.

I just sanitize some scissors and cut a tiny slit at the top, let the pressure out, and then cut a larger slice across and pour it in!:mug:

just be careful and don't pour the 'smack pack' into the wort... (not that it will cause any harm)

brownale.jpg

I do the sanitized scissor routine as well as letting my wort pour from the keggle into the smackpack to rinse all those little guys outta there.

"How do you keep Wyeast smack packs from making a mess?"

I just close mine up in a small tiled room at night and put a little newspaper down on the floor. Providing a little chew toy helps sometimes too.

If your package gets too warm it will spurt. I just really, really wanted to say that. But seriously, try to keep the Wyeast at 70-75 degrees until you are ready to open it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, kind of expected more people to say they had the same problem, but maybe it's just me. Or maybe as Doat points out it's just that my apartment is ridiculously hot.

Back