natural gas or propane or something different?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanpace

Reaction score
I am just curious what exactly this would be.

The big round cylinder tanks that you see people use outside the city limits.

Do they contain natural gas? or maybe a mixture of butane or something like that?

I was going to take my brew rig to a friends house and he has one of these...My setup is for natural gas, but I was just wondering if it would work with this...gas.

It's probably propane. No a natural gas burner will not work with propane, as the orifice sizes are very different. I'm not speaking from experience, but I'm still pretty sure they are not compatible.

The big round tanks are probably LP (liquid propane) tanks. Your rig is not compatible with those. Propane burners run at a much higher gas pressure than natural gas burners, and the two are not interchangeable.

You can get special regulators to reduce the LP (10-20 psi) to NG (3-10 inches) pressures. They connect downstream from the low pressure LP regulator (a big tank will have a high pressure regulator at the tank and a low pressure regulator at the house). You still have to be careful not to over-heat the burner, as LP has more energy per unit volume than NG.

Here's the deal:

The LP dude just set a new 'pig'. There's a 10 psi at the tank, to tame line pressure that runs underground to the house.

At the house, there is a 13" (~1/2 psi~) regulator for the house appliances...so, if you wanted, you could run a 'T' from the main reg, bury a new line, say going into the garage, and coming out of the ground feed it thru a hole above the foundation, as in thru the siding/wall. Distribute this in the garage as you need, utilise a 1/2 turn ball-valve water heater type valve, and you have a large supply of 10 psi propane.

It is code-legal (at least here) and safe.

Propane companies have regulators, and copper tubing, and on the trucks that do the install, but not the 'filling' trucks.

I believe Yuri and Shaffer are right. When I got my stove I had to change out the orifice from a NG one to a Propane one for it to work properly. I didn't do anything to the pressure regulator. I've also never seen a second pressure regulator at the house. So while you may be able to get a flame from a NG source on your propane burner by simply reducing the pressure I would wonder what kind of efficiency you'd get. And there is no way I'd put a NG burner on a propane source without the orifice mod. Maybe I'm overly cautious.

But ask your NG company or the folks you bought the burner from maybe you can get a propane orifice and reg.

Back