First Brew and Post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p5cola

Reaction score
I thought i would give brewing my own beer a shot. I went with a coopers dark ale. Not knowing any better I mixed in 1kg of table sugar. Tested the beer yesterday when fermentation slowed (after 8 days) and it came out with a reading of 1.006 but it has a bit of a sweet smell and a cidey flavour to it but through that flavour i can also taste a dark chocolately coffee taste. I hope that with further fermentation the cider flavour will disapate and the beer flavour will be more pronounced.

I cant wait to try another brew. i want to keep it simple for now and try another coopers (IPA) what are some suggestions to make a simple good tasting brew using the coopers cans. (their instructions suck)

thanks !

Welcome to the hobby (addiction). The cidery flavor should fade once you bottle and condition. Enjoy and congrats on your first brew!

Before carbonation you can only get an "idea" of what the final taste will be.

I have had a couple that I was really worried about, but turned out great when done.

I'd ditch all that sugar. It'll make for a drier,thin tasting beer. Check out my recipes for ideas on how to best use the Cooper's cans.

Back