Junk in bottom of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
Is this something that will always happen??? Or is there ways to rid myself of any sediment in my beer bottles.
Thank you in advance for being nice to a N00b :)

Bottle conditioning will always leave sediment. Don't worry about it, just always pour into a glass and leave the sediment behind. Some people even say that yeast sediment is good for you and you should drink it!

If you filter it out, there will be no yeast to carbonate your brew. Don't like it? Start kegging.

If you despise sediment that much the only recommendation I can give is to keg your beers. Force carbing w/ CO2 will solve your problem and you can always bottle from the keg if that is the ultimate goal.

MadMarty911 said:
So is there no way to filter so I don't have any?

It's not a filtration issue, when you add priming sugar it reinvigorates the yeast so they carbonate your beer, otherwise it would be flat. The byproduct of that process is the sediment at the bottom. There are some fancy expensive caps that you can use and condition the bottles upside down and it traps the sediment, but most people will tell you they're unnecessary. Just always use a glass and pour carefully. Simple as that!

Most of the craft brews I buy commercially have sediment from bottle conditioning. It's just a byproduct of bottle carbing. As has been stated, the only alternative is to keg and force carb.

Back