nugget barleywine/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleroots

Reaction score
I harvested around 8 oz. of nuggets from my hop vines this year and am looking to put together a barleywine with the. any suggestions or comments?

I personally, really like nugget hops, they impart a nice herbal/resiney flavor when used in large amounts, and I have also gotten peach from them when used at the end of the boil in lighter ales. I think an all nugget barleywine would be great, and they are good for bittering in all ales IMHO.

Personally, I would go IPA with them. I love barley wines and all, but since they tend to get put back and the hop character dissipates over time, why use your lovely, fresh hops on one? I would make something that showcases the hops...

BUT...

Your hops, your beer... do what makes YOU happy :mug:

I just had a beer from a local ale house that is now on the top of my list. The beer was called ZZ Hop, wonderful triple IPA @9.4abv and 140IBU's. The reason I bring it up is because it has lots of characteristics in common with a barley wine but it presents hops well and you don't age it! After all a triple IPA is the barley wine of pale ales!

Back