raising Abv and chipotle peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclash4686

Reaction score
I recently bought a porter kit to make a Christmas beer. The stated ABv for out was 4.06% butt since its a Christmas beer I was thinking of increasing the abv to 8% to give it a littlemore warmth. The kit is half LME and half DME. I was told that adding dark brown sugarwould do the job. what exactly do I have to do. Mind you this if for a five gallon batch.

Second question. I was inspired by lindts chocolate and peppers to do something similar. When should I add the and chipotle peppers, and how much. This is my seventh batch and as this will be served at Christmas dinner with the family I'd like it out well. Any advice would be greatly appreciatEd.

PS I have all the details at home if any needs them.

jclash4686, I would add more LME/DME instead of brown sugar. If you're impatient, you can run over to Arbor's, since they're also in W. Islip. Getting an 8% brew ready by Christmas doesn't look very promising. Maybe M.L. King day... How about a wheat beer?
I made a chile beer last year with smoked serranos and panca peppers. I added the peppers, in a small hop bag, about halfway through the three week primary. I can't help you with the chocolate. I'm experimenting with a double chocolate stout right now. If you do some digging you'll find a wealth of info on here. Cheers, pete

Not sure about peppers or chocolate, but like said above I don't think you'll have that high of an abv beer in time for Christmas.

To petey C.
Decided to cut back the ABV from 8 but curious on how you add the peppers. did you cut them up de-seed them. and how many peppers would you recommended for a 5 gal batch. and unfortunately Arbors is in East Islip and expensive compared to other places. Thanks though for the suggestions

jclash, I ordered the dried peppers online, chopped them up and put them in a small hop bag. They were already de-seeded, so no prob there. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/5x-pepper-beers-172082/ It inspired me to use 2/3 ounce each of dried Panca and smoked Serrano Chiles in a Mr. Beer (Fire in the Hole) kit. I waited for day 10 of a three week primary, put it in a hop bag (after chopping them up of course.) Nice smokey peppery taste with a slight burn at the end. So I'd guess, double that for a 5 gal batch, if you used the same recipe. If you want a bigger burn, switch to habanero's or hotter.

Back