Pliny substitute in WI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
I have only heard good things about Pliny the Elder/Younger but I don't think it's available in WI. In fact I went to their website and I'm pretty confident about it. Anyone out there try something and thought it was pretty close, or at least a decent substitute? :tank:

Hoping there might be something similar locally to pick up whenever. But if I really want to try one, I may have one shipped here.

furious? nah not even close. still good.

Enjoy what you can get! Lakefront IPA and Surly Furious are awesome, although not the same beer.

If I could get my hands on some Pliny (hit-and-miss here), I trade for some Furious.

Remember one the the Beer Commandments: "Don't covet thy neighbor's beer" ;)

Well I think I'll give Stoopid a try. Disappointing that Pliny hasn't made it to Wisconsin, especially after hearing all the talk about it.

Pliny hasn't really made it anywhere as far as I can tell. they don't really have a large distribution.

Nothing comes to mind as a comparable - that's probably why it is what it is. I also wish Surly was more in WI.

Pliny isn't easy to get even in California. I think RR is still having trouble keeping up with demand. My whole foods sells out within a day or two everytime they get some. So if I go there and they have it I usually by 5 or 6 of them at least.

Just my 2 cents, but I found 2 beers that are close to Pliny the Elder. One is Ithaca Brewing Company Flower Power IPA, and the other is Southern Tier 2X IPA. Not exact clones, but very close IMHO...especially if you can get them on tap. Personally I'd take Russian River's Blind Pig IPA over pretty much anything they make.

Pliny isn't easy to get even in California. I think RR is still having trouble keeping up with demand. My whole foods sells out within a day or two everytime they get some. So if I go there and they have it I usually by 5 or 6 of them at least.

i have a place down the street that serves pliny on tap, found out the other day that they let you taste any of the beers they have in 4oz glasses. i tried pliny and found out i'm no hop head.

Leinenkugel's Berryweiss.

I kid. We don't get it in Ohio (big surprise) either, but it doesn't bother me because I have access to fresh Founders, Bells, Southern Tier, Two Brothers, etc. Midwest beer is the best!

i have a place down the street that serves pliny on tap, found out the other day that they let you taste any of the beers they have in 4oz glasses. i tried pliny and found out i'm no hop head.

I don't think any of the San Jose area bars have Pliny on tap. Funny thing is that I'm so hop desensitized that I don't even think Pliny is all THAT hoppy. It's delicious is about all I can say.

Just my 2 cents, but I found 2 beers that are close to Pliny the Elder. One is Ithaca Brewing Company Flower Power IPA, and the other is Southern Tier 2X IPA. Not exact clones, but very close IMHO...especially if you can get them on tap. Personally I'd take Russian River's Blind Pig IPA over pretty much anything they make.

+1 to this. Out of the 2 IPAs of theirs I've had I prefer Blind Pig as well. Pliny was a bit of a let down to me.

To the OP: The best/easiest way to score a Pliny is to trade for it on a site like beeradvocate. Lots of people will trade it for something local to you.

I don't know if you have access to Surly Abrasive where you're at, but I much prefer that beer to Pliny.

Come to think of it, Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas is very similar to Pliny. I don't know why I didn't think of that before!

I know you can get Stoopid in WI. I saw it at Woodman's the other day.

Adding to the pile, Hop Stoopid has a very similar flavor profile. In fact, some days, I prefer to drink Hop Stoopid. I have both in my fridge right now.

Bells Hopslam in my opinion is a better DIPA. Although when you get a chance try a nice fresh Pliny. Its a fine beer!

I don't think any of the San Jose area bars have Pliny on tap. Funny thing is that I'm so hop desensitized that I don't even think Pliny is all THAT hoppy. It's delicious is about all I can say.

even though i am not into hoppy beers i could tell it was very well crafted and balanced. the place i'm talking about is called the englander in san leandro. crappy service, mediocre food but a long wall chock full 'o taps.

Back