bottle harvesting yeast time frame

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgfitz

Reaction score
I have done yeast washing with good results and now I want to try bottle harvesting yeast. I have 2 bottles of pumpkin ale left that i made (I wanted my first try to be something that I can still buy) and my friend wants to tast it. It is easer for me to go to her house so...

How long can the yeast stay in the bottle and still be harvestable after opening?

I can bring my bottle capper and re-cap the bottle after pooring

Do I need to put the bottle back in the refrigerator to pevent any un-nessary strain on the yeast or is ok at room temp?

thanks for the help

When I'm bottle Harvesting, I try to get as many bottles as possible. When I capture hoegaarden yeast I used 12 bottles of the beer. Obviously I couldn't drink that in a day. SO I recapped the bottles with sanitized caps and stuck them in the fridge, it took about 10 days to get the harvest together.

And it turned out fine. Just be sure to sanitize the bottle area and cap before you re-open them.

Also I tended to leave behind more beer in the bottles than if I were just harvesting on drinking day, I left a good inch of beer behind to protect the yeast while waiting to harvest them.

Yeah - I want to harvest a Pacman from Rogue. I added some boiled/cooled water to the 22oz bottle, swirled to get it all up the poured into a sanitized mason jar. I am going to add a bit of wort to try and step it up every few days - then make a 2L starter if that works.

thanks for the help. i dident know that you need so many samples to harvest the yeast. Is two bottles going to be enough? or should i try it some other time when i have more bottles to harvest?

thanks for the help. i dident know that you need so many samples to harvest the yeast. Is two bottles going to be enough? or should i try it some other time when i have more bottles to harvest?

You can harvest from one, most folks do. I just like to up my odds, and start with as large an initial sample as possible.

Found this thread on a search and figured I'd move it up, rather than start a new thread. If I intend to brew next weekend (7 days from now probably) is there any harm in making a small starter with 1 or 2 bottles worth and then adding more as the week progresses/decanting and stepping up the starter until I'm comfortable with it's size, then refrigerate until brew day?

Found this thread on a search and figured I'd move it up, rather than start a new thread. If I intend to brew next weekend (7 days from now probably) is there any harm in making a small starter with 1 or 2 bottles worth and then adding more as the week progresses/decanting and stepping up the starter until I'm comfortable with it's size, then refrigerate until brew day?

Yeah that's perfect.....

Back