Help me come up with my 50th Birthday (or my Memorial) 5 year aged Barleywine recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I mentioned on and off the last year that for my 45th Birthday I had planned to brew a huge Barleywine that I wanted to lay up for 5 years until my 50th. But with all the heart crap going on this summer, plans for it, and even the desire for it has fallen by the wayside.

My Birthday was August 27th.

And to be brutally honest, I have no clue if I'm even going to be alive in 5 years to enjoy the fruits of this endeavor.

But my wonderful swmbo has been pushing me to do this for a couple of weeks now, as some sort of "brewing therapy" to get back into doing something that I love. (I haven't brewed anything since the batch I brewed 3 days before they discovered my heart issues in early July, in fact that batch is still sitting in primary, where I MAY indeed prove myself wrong about autolysis ;) .)

With some nudging by her, I've decided to brew this monster on Sept. 19th. Several brewing buddies are coming together (anyone locally is welcome, btw-PM me) with enough gear to pull off something big and beyond my turkey fryer/cooler setup. One of my friends and his wife have graciously offered their house and their yard to hang out and brew in, and are firing up a smoker to make this a true brewing party.

And they have decided that if I'm not around on my 50th that they'll drink it as a tribute to me, so it won't go to waste.

So, as the title states, help me come up with a recipe fitting of this kind of poignant, if not slightly morbid task. (I'm half tempted to label it with "Drink this in memory of me" on it.)

I've looked at some recipes, including PTN's Utopia Clones, and the 9-9-9 Barleywines. And I have about 50# of 2-row laying calling for me to brew with it. But having never tackled a hug beer like this, I'm kinda at a loss as to where to begin.

I am considering pulling at least a gallon, maybe 2 of it down the line and freeze concentrating it, to really make something potent.

So I'd appreciate it if you guys who mean so much to me, would help me come up with something special.

And if anyone's aroung SE Michigan a week from Sunday, and wants to help out/or hang out, let me know.

Thanks Gang.

:mug:

If you are interested, the final recipe is here.

Final Version.

Rev, I didn't know about your condition till now?
I myself had 4 stents installed 2 years ago so I understand somewhat what your going through.

How about Ultimate Journey Barleywine! Seeing we both have Harleys and enjoy the wind-in-the-hair AND if your not around (stop thinking that) it sorta fits the label.

Good luck my friend!

Well, if this really is a "bucket list" type of a beer, I would definitely suggest going with the PtN Utopia Clone.

I was thinking about brewing this up myself and cracking a few bottles with friends every year on the anniversary of my (thus far) successful surgery to remove renal cell cancer. It will be called "Russian Roulette" for a variety of different reasons :cross:

Besides, it would give you a good excuse to re-read the two threads about the beers that are hilarious.

Go big, or go home...

Cheers,

Shawn

Sorry to hear about this Revvy I hope you will be able to enjoy that BW 10 years after you brew it. I have only done one BW and it has been it the keg aging for almost a year. I went with Jamil's recipe as it is a proven winner.

6 gallon batch

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
86.3 22.00 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.098 3
3.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 75L Great Britian 1.004 75
3.9 1.00 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.004 20
1.0 0.25 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian 1.001 120
1.0 0.25 lbs. Chocolate Malt - Pale Great Britain 1.001 200
3.9 1.00 lbs. Corn Sugar Generic 1.008 0

Exract represented as SG.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
2.00 oz. Magnum Pellet 15.50 96.0 60 min
1.00 oz. Chinook Pellet 13.00 0.0 0 min
1.50 oz. Centennial Pellet 10.50 0.0 0 min
1.50 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 10.00 0.0 0 min

Yeast
White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Single Step
Grain Lbs: 24.50
Water Qts: 31.85 Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 7.96 Before Additional Infusions
Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 Before Additional Infusions

Rest Temp Time
Saccharification Rest: 149 60 Min
Mash-out Rest: 168 10 Min
Sparge: 170 60 Min

Fred Bonjour is a BW guy his is very very good. He told me he boils a min of 120 mins to get the flavors to develop that he is looking for.

Keep brewing and drinking!!! It ales what cures ya!!
Seriously, if I wasn't a thousand miles away, I'd be there. Hang tight or hang loose, but just keep hanging, bud.

SWMBO is right... obey her on this one. She knows you well and wants you to be happy... so make her happy by making sure you enjoy yourself next weekend. :mug:

keep the faith revvy - brew it and plan to enjoy it in 5 years and a bottle every year after that.
best wishes
rod

+1 to rod. Brew it up, then one bottle every year after that in celebration of "beating that thing you had way back when you were 45" :mug:
I vote the Utopia Clone as well.

You'll be aound to drink it, don't worry.

I know this is well intentioned, but remember, it can sometimes, under these types of circumstances, end up sounding a bit hollow.

We don't know what Revvy's been going through, but if it stopped him from brewing, it was serious.

Effort can change attitude, but baseless optimism can do more harm than good, from what I've seen in my life. Working in a nephrology division I've seen a lot of very sick people, and they bear a huge burden. Optimism is great, but let's remember that these problems are real -- and then let's make an effort to be optimistic about it!

Revvy, you've got a lot of people in your corner. :ban:

I rather like the idea of a "Revvy Memorial BW" but you have to be around to drink it in 5 years! Quit being such a puss and brew! I can tell you from having a wife who works in a cancer center that attitude plays a HUGE part in your health, if you accept defeat, then thats what you face.
Now can we come up with a recipe that will take 72 hours to start fermenting and then never bubble the airlock?? :D

i rather like the idea of a "revvy memorial bw" but you have to be around to drink it in 5 years! Quit being such a puss and brew! I can tell you from having a wife who works in a cancer center that attitude plays a huge part in your health, if you accept defeat, then thats what you face.
Now can we come up with a recipe that will take 72 hours to start fermenting and then never bubble the airlock?? :d

+1,000,000,012 :d

We don't know what Revvy's been going through, but if it stopped him from brewing, it was serious.

Um, well, we kind of do have the basic details in another thread...:D

Revvy, I love the idea of getting back into brewing with this beer. Here's to being around to enjoy it in five years and for a few more years after that! :mug:

Revvy, you've got a lot of people in your corner. :ban:

Thanks, gang!!!!!

I forgot that the mods moved this thread I have a heart murmur and electrical blockage of the heart?!?!? to secret chit chat, and even though a couple have asked if I wanted it moved back, and I said yes, they keep forgetting to.

Basically it was discovered in July that I have 2 separate problems with my heart. Turns out I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve AND ALSO evidently I have Ideopathic, nonischemic cardiomyopathy. They think that the cardiomyopathy is not related to the valve, but was the result of a rogue infection (possibly even swine flu) that ended up knocking the crap out of my heart.

I went through a ton of tests, and was it looked like I was going to get the valve replaced sooner than later. But they realized that the heart damage wasn't directly related, and therefore the valve replacement won't more than likely make my heart any better. Since valve replacements are only good for a decade or 2 and me being young the cardiologist wants to hold off surgery as long as possible, and see if the copious meds I'm on can help my heart function improve (I'm only running 6 cylinders on an 8 cylinder engine. )

But there's only so much improvement my heart can do, and even with the inevitable valve replacement, they don't think I'll ever be "healthy" again. In fact it's a 30,30,30 proposition, 60% odds that I will stay the same or improve, and 30% I'll get worse.

I'm supposed to lose weight, and start walking (after being restricted for 6 weeks) and I see the docs again in November, and we see what's going on.

So it's been a pretty freaked out ride. And obviously as much as I'm on here, actual brewing and other things have been on the back burner.
But folks on here and facebook have been amazingly supportive during this time, as well as my family and my amazing girlfriend, who is sticking with me through this.

So, Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate it beyond measure...now, help me come up with a recipe, gang! :D

Revvy,

I've never brewed a BW so I can't be much help with a recipe. I don't live in your neck of the woods so I can't come help brew. If, however, there is something else that I can do just let me know! Maybe I can help chip in for some of the ingredients or send you hops or something.

Oh, yeah, and I'd call it something like Bypass Barleywine, or Coronary Classic.

If it was me, I'd label it "I've Got A Heart On For You" and put a big heart in the middle of the label.

Her ya go Revvy, take it back to where it all began.

Anchor Old Foghorn Clone (All Grain)

21 lbs (9.45 kg) 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb (0.45 kg) 80°L Crystal

Mash at 148° F (64° C) for 60 minutes with about 7 gallons (29 L) water to collect 6.5 gallons (24.6 L) of first wort. (You may need two lauter tuns to do this if you choose to do an all grain recipe. Drained mash can then be sparged with 175° [79° C] water into another kettle to produce a "small beer.")

2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (first wort) 37 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (45 min.) 18.4 IBU
1.0 oz (28 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (30 min.) 10.5 IBU
2.0 oz (56 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5.75% alpha acid (dry)
1 Whirlfloc tablet or 1 tsp (5 ml) Irish Moss (20 min.)
California Ale Yeast

Boil wort 60 to 90 minutes with hop additions above. Cool to 68° F (20° C) and pitch a generous amount of yeast (pitching the dregs of a previous 5 gallon batch is recommended) and aerate that sucker like nobody's business. ferment at 68°-72° F (20-22° C) rousing the yeast if fermentation appears to stall, for two or more weeks, then siphon into secondary. When gravity nears target final, siphon into another carboy onto dry hops and cold condition at 45° F (7° C) for 18 months. Package, condition and enjoy!

Original Gravity: 1.101 (25° P)
Final Gravity: 1.043 (11° P)
IBU: 65.9

Here is an interesting response I got from my buddy in Colorado. His club got 8 brewers together with an oak wine barrel, and they went HUGE, not just big. This sounds like the exact type of thing you are looking to do.

Barrel Aged EKG Barleywine

After trying so many barrel aged beers, and talking way too long about making one as a club project, we finally did it.* With a 15 hour brew day, seven homebrewers converged at my house and brewed 14 different batches of barleywine on our homebrew systems.* We blended the wort into different fermenters and pitched a huge slurry of Wyeast London ESB yeast #1968.* After a week of fermentation, I added another slurry of Wyeast American Ale yeast #1056.* I encourage any brewer on homebrew club to try this project.* Here is the recipe.*

Style: English Barleywine
TYPE: All Grain
Recipe Specifications:

Batch Size: 65.00 gal
Boil Size: 78.28 gal
OG: 1.120
FG: 1.038
Estimated Color: 11.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 85 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes
Amount. Type % or IBU
330 lbs. Maris Otter Floor Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 100.0 %
54.00 oz. Goldings, East Kent [6.50%]* (60 min) Hops 48.2 IBU
33.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.50%]* (30 min). Hops 22.6 IBU
33.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.50%]* (15 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
14.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min)
12.00 items Servomyces Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Starter London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [2000 ML Starter Yeast-Ale]
4 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [2000 ML Starter Yeast-Ale]

Total Grain Weight: 330.00 lb

Barrel Project - Barrel Aged EKG Barleywine
Mash Schedule:
NameDescription * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** Step Temp * * Step Time *
Mash In ** Add 122 gallons of water at 162.0 F* 153.0 F * ** 60 min * * **
Step * * * ** Add 0.00 qt of water at 165.0 F* 165.0 F * ** 15 min * * **

Notes:
This recipe is for a Barrel Aged Barleywine, BABC club brew (2/3/07).* 14 different batches all brewed the same day on 6 different systems.* This brew was fermented in 5 different containers (14-20 gallons each).* Then the beer was racked (3/14/07) into the secondary, a Firestone Walker 60 Gallon American Oak Heavy Toast Barrel, where it currently is aging.

Sadly, experience wise, I am of no help. I'm still stumbling around in the lands of extract and " Gee I wonder what those hops will taste like ".

But I could not be silent and not wish you the best - since I joined here Revvy has been a great fount of knowledge, but more so a source of support and affirmation, not only for me, but for others in posts I read.

I wish you the best , whole heartedly, and am sure that whatever may come, whatever you do, that the big brew day will be a wonderful time with friend sharing a passionate hobby, and a day you will cherish.

And I hope you live so long that your great great grandkids hear the tale of that massive brew project you did back when you were a spry 45 years old ....

I have no experience with BW recipes but I am planning my first this year. I would love to be able to brew the same recipe you choose to be able to participate in the idea and enjoyment of a great brew.

For all else are my thoughts and prayers to a fellow brewer. May the mash tuns be filled to capacity and the glasses held high as this will be a brew to remember!

CHEERS

Revvy I hate to hear that man but it seems many of us are breaking down. Keep on fighting.

What I am working on is one of my favorite barleywines. Creating the Old Horizontal Clone. Any feedback would be appreciated.

--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.99 gal
Estimated OG: 1.121 SG
Estimated Color: 16.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 69.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 120 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
16.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.31 %
4.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.33 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.20 %
2.00 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8.16 %
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.7 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SteepHops -
1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-SHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
3 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 24.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 30.63 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F

Thanks, gang!!!!!

I forgot that the mods moved this thread I have a heart murmur and electrical blockage of the heart?!?!? to secret chit chat, and even though a couple have asked if I wanted it moved back, and I said yes, they keep forgetting to.

Basically it was discovered in July that I have 2 separate problems with my heart. Turns out I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve AND ALSO evidently I have Ideopathic, nonischemic cardiomyopathy. They think that the cardiomyopathy is not related to the valve, but was the result of a rogue infection (possibly even swine flu) that ended up knocking the crap out of my heart.

I went through a ton of tests, and was it looked like I was going to get the valve replaced sooner than later. But they realized that the heart damage wasn't directly related, and therefore the valve replacement won't more than likely make my heart any better. Since valve replacements are only good for a decade or 2 and me being young the cardiologist wants to hold off surgery as long as possible, and see if the copious meds I'm on can help my heart function improve (I'm only running 6 cylinders on an 8 cylinder engine. )

But there's only so much improvement my heart can do, and even with the inevitable valve replacement, they don't think I'll ever be "healthy" again. In fact it's a 30,30,30 proposition, 60% odds that I will stay the same or improve, and 30% I'll get worse.

I'm supposed to lose weight, and start walking (after being restricted for 6 weeks) and I see the docs again in November, and we see what's going on.

So it's been a pretty freaked out ride. And obviously as much as I'm on here, actual brewing and other things have been on the back burner.
But folks on here and facebook have been amazingly supportive during this time, as well as my family and my amazing girlfriend, who is sticking with me through this.

So, Thanks for all the kind words, I appreciate it beyond measure...now, help me come up with a recipe, gang! :D
Sorry to hear about this about your heart problems. I think your SWMBO is right and that you need to do something therapeutic. Nothing like brewing to do that. I like you 6 cylinder analogy and think you should use that as your starting point. Have your starting gravity be 1.168. (1 revvy, 1 heart, running on 6 cylinders on an 8 cylinder heart.) That will be a big worthy barleywine that will age nicely for 5 years. Maybe something around 100 IBU's. The Overhaul Barleywine.

Sorry..I'm no help.
gr_grin.gif

FB PM sent.

I just subscribed to this thread to find out what you decide to end up brewing. I want to brew the same thing on the same day as you, so I can hoist one in five years to celebrate your continued health and that you are still posting on this board. It will also be a celebration beverage for my life. I feel that my life will be vastly different in 5 years, one way or another, so I want to celebrate in five years my new (and better) life also!

You're probably right, you won't be alive in five more years. Mostly cause if I hear one more f'ing time about how you have a widdle boo boo and expect to die any second I'm going to drive out there and kill you myself just to fulfill the prophacy.

Get back on the horse and brew, dammit.

PTN

(If you do decide to go with my Utopia clone I'll send you a bottle of mine so you can try it before your upcoming untimely demise. Just leave instruction in your will to have SWMBO mail me off a bottle of yours after you take the eternal dirt nap. Of course, yours won't come out half as good as mine so it don't really matter.))

Hey Revvy are you looking for an American or European style BW? I think that a good European recipe about 14% leaning torward the malty side with slightly roasted flavor and not to sweet finish. Maybe oak age it with a piece of a medium toasted wine barrel stave. I aged a smoked porter test batch with a piece of wine barrel and it added a background taste that was remarkable. I think it would be amazing with a barley wine.

hey Revvy, really sorry to hear of your condition man. keep the faith and keep on brewing!
Dan

Be sure to post the recipe as soon as it's formulated; we're with you in spirit, even if we can't be there in person.

Back