Sierra nevada torpedo clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfd622

Reaction score
Hey all

I'm rather new at this brewing thing, though I have a little over 100 gallons under my belt (and around my waistline). Tonight was a great night in terms of success, so thought I'd share that here.

I brew a lot of IPA's and Sierra Nevada ales, as SWMBO really likes those types. My specialty is 60' and simple sierra nevada pale ale, but lately I've explored a few new recipes simply by doing small variations on my ingredients. I don't use software or any of that, I simply modify my base and hops schedule according to labels and best guess.

Tonight I gave the SWMBO a blind taste test - my sierra nevada torpedo ale vs the real thing. Poured both into glasses, the color and clarity was perfect. Head was good on both. After tasting, my brew won the contest, and needless to say the SWMBO wants more. I made a Sierra Nevada porter at the same time which I really like as well.

Here is the recipe I used for this:

Sierra Nevada Torpedo extract clone:

1/2 lb crystal 60L
1/2 lb 2-row pale ale
7 lb light DME (I buy bulk 55 lb from midwest)

Additions and Hops schedule:
1.5 oz magnum (60')
1 tsp irish moss (15')
1 oz crystal (5')
1 oz magnum (5')

0.5 oz magnum (dry)
0.5 oz crystal (dry)
0.5 oz citra (dry) - note, I had to buy 6 oz of this hops - so it's stored in the freezer)

Yeast is Safeals S04 (blue packet - I like dry yeast, it's easy)

I brewed it for 15 days in primary, 2 months in secondary. FG was 1.008

It's a great beer - nice flavor - good alcohol content.

This home brewing thing is great

Dave

Thanks for sharing. Pale Ales and IPA's are my favorites, too. I've never had SN Torpedo, but RateBeer gives it a 97, so it must be outstanding. I'm going to pick up a sixer at my next opportunity, then try your recipe.

Did you mash the 2-row?
Sorry, I'm still new at this, and frankly I like extract brewing (I have the equipment, it's very easy for me, and the beer tastes good), so I don't now all the intricasies of beer lingo, but I'll try to answer this.

Assuming that "mash" means to put the grains in a "tea bag" and steep them at 165 degrees for about 20 minutes or so, then yes, I did that. It's extract brewing (as always) using grains for some extra flavor. I mix the grains (60L and 2-row) in a grain sack and place in 165 degree water for 20 minutes. I don't take gravity measurements after brewing since with extract brews I always have at least 7 lb of extract so the initial gravity is always very close to the same (and easy to hit). So, I don't know what my grains do - but they do give color prior to extract addition.

For all my sierra nevada recipes (extract mind you), I find that the base is typically the same or very close for all (usually just a 60L, 1/2 lb). The grains for flavor are very simple (something dark for the porter, 2-row for torpedo, nothing for pale ale beyond 60L). The hops are the difference, but in all cases the hops give a good flavor - I have yet to do a bad sierra nevada clone.

My original recipe was from a store in St. Louis, and I think it was an actual sierra nevada clone (just the pale ale, from the brewers at sierra nevada). Torpedo I made up a bit using the label to see the grains and hops used (and reading threads and modifying or combining or whatever). It works well.

Citra hops is hard to find. I found one supplier and I had to buy 8 oz of it (or some absurd amount). I broke it up into 1/2 oz packs and store it in my freezer. It worked OK. Made it a little more expensive, but it's still only around $30 per 2 cases, which is a good price for the higher end beers (I could save more with all grain, but I'm OK with extract).

Dave

Thanks. It looks like you steeped the 2-row. I hadn't heard of steeping 2-row, but I'm relatively new at this too. I figured since you posted in the Extract Brewing forum, that's probably what you did, but I wasn't sure.

This recipe is definitely on my short list of recipes to try. By the way, Northern Brewer sells Citra pellet hops by the ounce (in case you ever run out).

New here as well, but want to give your recipe a try.....I'm assuming this is a standard five gallon batch.

Grains steeped in 2.5 gallons of water, brought to boil, add the DME, back to boil, Hops added per your schedule. Cool down, move to primary top off to 5 gallons, pitch yeast and let her rip.

2 row generally isnt steeped, its a base grain used for mashing, and youre not getting anything out of that half pound that you wouldnt get from another .25 lbs of DME, probably less.

I was trying to make a similar beer and used 1 lb of crystal 60, but mine came out too sweet. I will drop down to 1/2 lb next time.

Just curious - why use US-04 instead of US-05? I've never used 04, but I have used 05 and it is a very clean yeast. Isn't 04 the British ale yeast?

Sorry, been away a few days - didn't have time to respond.

As for the 2-row, I really had no idea. I found it in a recipe here on this site (not a partial mash, but an extract recipe), so I just treated it like all other grains. If it does nothing, no worries, leave it out. It costs a whopping 0.50, so I didn't really care either way. Like I said, all my other sierra nevada just use the 60L (except porter does have one or two dark grains, don't remember right off, no problem).

As for the S-04 vs S-05, I used the yeast I had lying around. I have always liked S-04 (it works great in my basement environment, every beer I have done with it has been superb, so I use it for almost everything). S-05 is good too, and it may be worth it I don't know. Most of my flavors come from the hops (I really only do IPA's and hoppy beers), so the yeast is there just to make alcohol from sugar, nothing more.

And yes, sorry to leave it off, but it was a standard 5 gallon batch. I am a glass fermenter guy (biochemist, I like watching yeast grow), so all of my things are done in 5 gallon batches. I don't have a pot big enough for a full boil, so I do a 3 gallon boil and add the rest later.

I'm debating on my next one to leave it in the primary, and just simply add the hops for dry hopping directly to the primary. I don't really want to mess much with something that's working though, and I'd like to free up my primary (I have a few, but I don't have 4), so I don't know. I read on here mixed reviews with this, and that it would require more hops if done in the primary. We'll see - I'll post it if I do keep everything in the primary (and it works)

Good luck all

Dave

Just bought all of the ingredients to make a batch of your clone.

I have one question....do you dry hop for the entire two months in the secondary?

SN Torpedo Clone!!!!!! This is most excellent news!!!!!! I have sunscribed to this thread and look forward to seeing how this turns out for several people. I will definately brew this later in the year. Would brew it now, but I have my next several beers lined up already.

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!

I was gonna ask what the IBU was, but I decided to look on SN's site first...65. I had a Torpedo for the first time a week ago and really enjoyed it, so I may try this clone. Well done! Thought the IBU might have been higher than that, but now that I think about it, seems a bit right. I brewed an extract APA last summer that came out almost identical to their pale ale with willamette and cascade. Probably if you want to get any sugars out of the pale malt, you could steep it at 150 or so instead of 165.

Sorry about that, I've been away again. Anyway, when I do secondary the hops are there the entire time. I brew so often now I find it's sometimes best to let beer age as I do, and simply have one week turn into one month. So I just let it sit, and when I get time to bottle I do it. If it's 2 months later, then so be it. It was still hoppy, though I admit it might be fresher and nicer to have less time in the secondary. I use the secondary as a chance to clear the beer and just let it all sit and chill for awhile. After the 150th gallon, I simply find that time is your best friend when it comes to brewing. You can never leave it in there long enough - no matter what stage you are at.

I always add hops immediately to my secondary container. Then it goes in secondary until I bottle. For this one, it was 2 months. I just made another and it's fine as well. It's a fast easy brew - tastes good. I think the second one was in the secondary a little bit less (say 5-6 weeks), but it was still well beyond the 10 days I usually read about.

I don't know the OG. I'm an extract brewer, so I have never worried about it (I don't have beersmith and frankly I don't really care about that). I do measure final gravities, just to give me a feel for where things are and how things compare, but frankly they always come out about the same (give or take). I do all my fermenting in glass - it's very cool watching the entire process.

Hope that answers questions. I'll pay attention more next time. Sorry about that (I didn't receive any messages that people posted on this - so I had lost track).

Thanks for looking and enjoy - hope it turns out.

I'm in the process of devising a sprecher black bavarian recipe (extract). Anybody with ideas on that one out there?

Dave

Has anyone played around with adding the DME late in the boil, or adding , say, half at the start and the rest near the end? I'm new to late extract additions and was curious if it would have any effect.

Did anyone brew this? How did it turn out?

So....enough time has passed.......a few of you indicated you were going to brew this........how did it turn out?

Would I need to modify anything for a full boil instead of the partial boil?

i love torpedo! its got a great level of hoppiness I have rarely seen elsewhere. Were you able to replicate that?

tcory77, a full boil is just that: all the water you would usually use. Full boils will have better hop extraction because of the larger volume of water, so it may change the flavor a bit. I did one full boil and really enjoyed the taste better than my partials. It seemed like twangy, if thats worth anything. I would just do the full boil and see how it comes out!

...two months in the secondary; I'm impressed with your patients.

I'm going to make a similar receipe this weekend as I bought some light DME in bulk (50lbs).

PS - most guys don't do secondaries - just a primary for 3-4 weeks.

This sounds great and a lot of people seem to enjoy it. (I love Torpedo to begin with.) I can't wait to brew this myself. Thanks for the recipe.

Ok.....I have to ask again because it didn't get any responses the first time.

Enough time has passed.......a few of you indicated you were going to brew this........how did it turn out?

Thanks!!!

I bought everything and then let the stuff sit....then I needed a couple pounds of DME for something else....slowly but surely I used everything but the hops for other brews.....so I have a allot of expensive hops and nothing else.

I need to make a trip to LHBS to pick up the grain and some DME and go ahead and brew this one........I'm making the committment to do it this weekend.

Hopefully tcory gets an answer to his question. I love this beer. I'm adding this one to the queue.

I am subscribed to this thread too. Torpedo is in my queue, but it is getting cold out. I probably won't hit this until Spring. Id love to hear how it turns out for you guys.

OK....looks like no one is going to reply, so I tweeked this recipe for a full boil. Just finished brewing it. We will see how it turns out. I will post the recipe if anyone is interested. This is my first non-kit brew, so I am crossing my fingers. It sure smelled good!!!!!!

OK....looks like no one is going to reply, so I tweeked this recipe for a full boil. Just finished brewing it. We will see how it turns out. I will post the recipe if anyone is interested. This is my first non-kit brew, so I am crossing my fingers. It sure smelled good!!!!!!

Good luck! Id love to see your recipe. How long will you primary? Secondary? Dry-hop? Do you have a fermentation chamber? Or how do you keep the temp steady?
Can't wait to hear about it.

Alright, I'm going to promise to reply to this down the road. I love Torpedo, but at the moment I'm buying the 24 oz'ers of it for the awesome bottles...and it's only $2.40 at Bi-Mart right now. So, when that deal is over, I'm going to be doing this, but I probably won't have the secondary patience you do. I'll try, but I can't promise that level of commitment.

Ok, here is what I did.

Full Boil Recipe

Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Boil Size: 6 Gallons
Batch Size: 5 Gallons
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 California Ale

1/2 lb. crystal 60L (Steeped)
1/4 lb. crystal 120L (Steeped)
7 lbs. light DME

Hop Schedule (pellets in hop bag)
1 oz. Magnum (60')
1 tsp Irishh Moss (15')
1 oz. Crystal (5')
1 oz. Magnum (5')

0.5 oz. Magnum (DH)
0.5 oz. Crystal (DH)
0.5 oz. Citra (DH)

I put the steeping grains in when I put the water in and light the fire. I remove the steeping grains when the water hits 174 degree (at least 30 minutes of time in the water). Bring to a boil, turn gas off, add DME, bring to a boil and start my hop schedule. I cool with an immersion chiller and a pre-chiller I built.

It is fermenting and smelling great right now. I will keep in the primary about 4 weeks, dry hopping the last week. No secondary. I don't have a fermentation chamber. I keep it in a shower that doesn't get used and the temp stays pretty consistant around 70-71 degrees. It doesn't touch an outside wall, so I think it helps to create a more consistant temp. Tastybrew.com calculated this at 66 IBUs which was pretty close to Sierra Nevada's 65 IBUs, so we will see. I don't really try to "clone" beers, I just go for the general style or thought of what a beer is. If I get close, great, if I don't and it still tastes good, great!!!!! I knew I wanted a pale ale or an IPA this time since my most recent IPA just ran out.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

Ok........I dry hopped today. It looks and smells great. Just wanted to get an update out. I will be kegging this next weekend. Can't wait to give it a taste!!!!!

tcory77 - How did this turn out?

I am trying to lure my brother into home brewing and torpedo is his favorite. Were you impressed? let down?

Thanks!

Funny you ask.....I just tapped this keg a few days ago. I was wanting to take a pic of my beer and an actual torpedo and then expalin my difference. I will still do that in a few days, but I'll give you my quick thoughts on it.

My beer is not torpedo, but it is fantastic. I don't think it is quite as bitter as torpedo and also has more citrus notes. The aroma is great, the tastes is great, just different than torpedo. Definately something to build on. For starters torpedo is 7.2% ABV and I think mine calculated to something like 5.5%, so I am betting that led to differences from the get go. I do have to say I am not let down at all. It is a great beer that I am really going to enjoy all winter (or maybe for a short time this winter if I don't slow down on hitting the keg!!!!!!) It is different but really good and I will definately tweek this moving forward.

I will post some pics for side by side comparison and describe the taste a little better in a few days once I have the beers in front of me.

Very cool - glad you liked how it turned out. Well, just so you know I have a clone recipe that I was considering trying from BYO magazine (looks similar but some subtle but possibly key differences). I will post the recipe below. Sounds like the brew you did is worth trying, but I may run with this recipe first if I can get my brother to buy haha!

Looking forward to your side by side when you get to it. Enjoy the keg! I rocked a porter keg this holiday real quick, so I hear ya.:tank:

I am an extract guy for now, but they have the partial mash and AG version too.

1lb 5oz. pale malt
11 oz carmel 60L
5lbs Light DME (early)
2lbs 6oz light LME (late addition - final 15 minutes)
1.2 oz of 14% 17AAu Magnum Hops (60)
1 oz Magnum (5)
1 oz crystal hops (dry hop)
.67 oz (19 grams) magnum hops (dry hop)
.67 oz (19 grams) crystal hops (dry hop)
.67 oz (19 grams) Citra hops (dry hop)

yeast recc is WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 or fermentis US-o5

Says to get the hops right you need to boil 4 gallons of wort. 3qts of water at 152F for 45 mins (grain steep) and add water to make 4 gallons. Boil is for 90 minutes and add water if water volume drops below 3.5 gals. Dry hop 10 days to 2 weeks.

I probably won't start this one for a bit, I have two fermenting and one on deck, plan to start an arrogant bastard clone tonight. But when I do get to this in the next few weeks I will post back. When I do I plan to do the recipe exactly as above (4 gallons), not a full boil.

That looks great. I am betting that version will be closer than mine for sure. I saw it but chose to do my own thing because I like doing full boils, I try to keep my DME/LME and hop amounts in rounded numbers (just easier to buy and use all of it), but those different procedures and the smaller boil will probably treat you right. And let's face it, if you can get your bro to pay for it, it is a no brainer!!!!!!!!

I would definately give your recipe a look before mine. I will tweek and report back to this thread.

Oh.....I am also planning a Black IPA with this base recipe!!!!!!!!! The hop combo is fantastic.

Best of luck and please report back!!!!!!

Very cool - be sure to let us know about the black IPA too - sounds very intersting.

I hear you on the rounded numbers too - I am going to have to do a few mystery brews if these random hop amounts keep showing up :) Or a hop refridgerator!

I prefer the full boils too. I usually do the full boil no matter what, since I like me some hops!

Will report back when I boil this one up

Also - AHS has a clone for this. I think from what I read about the clone is that it was close, but there was only one review on their site. I started the Arrogant bastard clone from AHS last night. That wort tasted really good. If that kit turns out well, I might get another one of those and the torpedo....

Latest posts

Back