I'm back from Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaiser

Reaction score
My 3 week Germany vacation is now over and I'm back. I thought that I would have more internet access in Germany than I actually had so I had to take a break from HBT for this time.

But not a break from brewing. Not having many opportunities to visit a lot of breweries, it mostly didn't fit the schedule and we traveled with kids, I made it a mission for me to update up my taste memory of German beers and their styles. As a result I had almost 90 different beers during these 3 weeks and wrote down notes for all of them. I'll be posting the results here on my brewing log. I hope to release about 5 postings per day. Most of them are already written, but I want to make some minor edits before releasing them.

Being back in Germany was great. For 2 weeks we toured with my parent's RV through Bavaria. I visited the Bavarian Brewing Museum, Paulaner Brewery and the Maisel's Museum. Paulaner was great. There the tours are done by retired brewing staff. This gives you a knowledgeable guide and you may even chat a little later during the Brotzeit (meal with 2 beers) in the Paulaner cafeteria. BTW, Salvator is not boiled for more than 90 min. Some believe that it gets its color from a very long boil, but I already suspected that this is just a brewing legend. I asked and the guide said that a very long boil would actually harm the beer and that it would also not fit the in the brewhouse schedule, which is designed to pipeline multiple batches per day. This means the next batch is mashing while the current batch lauters.

Kai

Sounds like a great time. We had planned to visit Europe this year but finances did us in. Next year it is me and the wife for a vacation free of the kids for once and we are planinng and saving now.

I like the idea of 2 beers with a meal.

I like the idea of 2 beers with a meal.

Towards the end I did 5 to 6 beers a day. Some already came in smaller amouths (like the 0.3 that restaurants sell) and others weren't good enough for me to finish half a liter of it. But I promised myself and my wife that I won't have beer for 2 weeks now. I need to brew anyway.

Kai

Back