Missed OG on my first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoiledPeanut

Reaction score
My first attempt and all grain and really missed the OG. Mine was 1.03 vs target 1.04. I knew I was going to be inefficient, but didn't realize I would be that far off. It's fermenting, so at least I will still have beer.

Other than a lower ABV, are there any other characteristics to expect?

Nope, it'll just be a lighter beer, probably in body as well as ABV. It took me more than a few batches to really dial in my AG brew day and start getting good efficiency in the mash. Don't sweat it, just brew more and you'll get it down.

It might be really lacking in body. Next time this happens, don't give up on the wort. You can try steeping the grain bags again at 150-155F for an hour to an hour and a half more. If you're still unsatisfied with the gravity, or pressed for time, add a pound of honey during the boil. It ferments almost completely and leaves no off-flavors.

Another tip - use multiple grain bags. I'm not sure how many you used, but I usually use four and do two separate mashings. Using too few grain bags can cause grains in the middle of the bag to be nearly untouched by the water and therefore wasted.

What was your wort temperature when you took your gravity reading? That will throw your reading off if it was still fairly warm.

I've been brewing AG for about 2 years and I still rarely hit my predicted OG. I'm usually within two points either way and I'm cool with that. I've stopped shooting for a specific number and I now go for more of a range. Anything within that range (usually 4 points) and I'm happy.

I did not take an initial reading. My measurement was when I was about to pitch my yeast and button things up. Since then I have read about a post boil reading. Another 20 batches and I bet I will have a good procedure!

One of the best things I did for my AG day was to get a refractometer (Northern Brewer has SG/Brix refractos for pretty cheap). I take a reading preboil to see how it compares with BeerSmith's target. You can always boil longer, or even add a li'l DME if your preboil is way low.

I missed mine on my first two AG brews and now I check the gravity of each of my sparges. After I am done mashing I take my Pre-Boil gravity and if the efficiency isn't what I want I simply add Extract to get it to my estimated pre boil gravity.

The formula is:
Target Gravity (TG) = Pre-boil volume x Target Gravity
Mash Gravity (MG) = Pre-boil volume x Measured Gravity

Target Gravity - Measured Gravity / 45 DME or 38 LME = Lbs to add.

I hope this helps. I have a word document if you would like with other information on it. If anybody would like my Beer Math worksheet PM me and I can send it here in the next couple of days.

One of the best things I did for my AG day was to get a refractometer (Northern Brewer has SG/Brix refractos for pretty cheap). I take a reading preboil to see how it compares with BeerSmith's target. You can always boil longer, or even add a li'l DME if your preboil is way low.
^^^this^^^

Back