Chai Vanilla Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogmanx82

Reaction score
Malt & Fermentables Mashed at 154F for 60 minutes. 1.5 quarts per pound.

LB OZ
8 ~ American Two-row Pale
1 ~ Flaked Oats
~ 8 Milk Sugar (Lactose)
~ 8 Chocolate Malt
~ 8 Crystal 120L
~ 8 Carafa III

Specific Gravity
1.050 OG
1.013 FG
Color
34° SRM Black

Hops
Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 60 min ¾ Goldings, East Kent ~ pellet 5.2 » 13.0
boil 30 min ½ Cascade ~ pellet 6.2 » 7.9
Bitterness
20.9 IBU

Yeast Irish Dry Stout WLP004
4.9% ABV

Miscellaneous Ingredients

boil 10 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet
secondary 7 days 1 oz Chai
secondary 7 days 1 ea Vanilla Bean

The vanilla bean was cut and soaked in a half cup of vodka for 2 weeks. The chai tea blend was rooibos plant, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, ramon nut, star anise, clove, fennel, black pepper, licorice root, peppermint picked up at a spice shop in Asheville, NC. I mixed the chai tea in 2 cups of boiling water and let it steep for 15 minutes. I added the tea and vanilla vodka to secondary.

I have to say that the milk stout prior to the spice addition was delicious right out of the primary tank. I sample about a half cup for gravity measurement and could not stop tasting it until it was gone. I haven't looked forward to a beer more impatiently than this since my summer saison.

My brew buddy took half the 10 gallon batch of milk stout and will be adding 8oz of vodka that has been steeping in a cup of cacao nibs for 3 months. The vodka was drained off the nibs, frozen and separated from the fats, and ready for the milk stout.

What a great Christmas beer this turned out to be. The chai spice is a great holiday twist to the milk stout. The chocolate milk stout was also very good but a bit more subtle as the chocolate really is more evident in the aftertaste while the chai hits your nose right up front.

What proportions did you use of the spices? This is exactly like something I have had running through my head for awhile now and needs to get brewed.

I didn't have the proportions. It was a chai mix I picked up at a spice shop. the ingredient list is in order of quantity if that helps.

Back