How big is this pot. Just purchased!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I found a pot that the guy said was stainless steel, he said it was 4- 5 gallons, he wasn't sure. I paid him 40.00 and took it home. I put 5 gallons of water in it and there is still 3 inches of space from the water to the rim.

The pot dimensions are 13.25 circ. x 11.0 high all Inner dimensions. Ballington 18/10 is all it says on bottom. does anyone have this same one? how does it work if so. I'm sure I can plan for .5 to 1 gallon for evaporation for a 60 minute boil. so this is cutting it close, but I'm pretty happy. It came with a glass top and has been used 3 times. I am assuming its a 24 quart, but I dont know how they measure. do they go to the rim?

You meant diameter, not circumference, right?

Usually pots are measured to the rim, not a given distance from the top. If you want to figure out how big the pot is try this: pi (x) radius squared (x) height. 6.62 squared is 43.85 square inches (x) 3.1416 = 137.88 (x) 11 = 1516.75 divided by 231= 6.56 gallons to the top edge
231 cubic inches in 1 gallon.
your pot is 26 quarts, I believe.

when I wrote this i had been awake for 24 hours, now it has been about 35 since my head has seen a pillow, I meant diamater. and your equasion looks good. I do believe your numbers are acurate. I filled it with one more gallon and there was 1.25 inches left from the water to the top of the rim, so 26 quarts fits with room for another 3 or so, but there needs to be room for boil over. If pots are measured to the rim like you say. its a 29 quart. maybey 30 quart.

Usually pots are measured to the rim, not a given distance from the top. If you want to figure out how big the pot is try this: pi (x) radius squared (x) height. 6.62 squared is 43.85 square inches (x) 3.1416 = 137.88 (x) 11 = 1516.75 divided by 231= 6.56 gallons to the top edge

Even if you were bad at math......couldnt you just do the other obvious thing and measure out water into the pot to figure it out? I lose more and more hope for humanity every day. lol

well I was looking for someone who had purchased this brand new and wondering what the manufacturer claimed it to be. Like I said in an earlier post I filled it with 6.75 gallons to the rim, 6.75 g= 27 quarts however I dont think that is a reliable number, I used gallon jugs used for distilled water just for measurement sake, but there is no mark on the jug. I filled them to the top so It was more than a gallon , by how much I dont know. I'm glad your loosing hope for humanity, I've lost ALL hope!

If you already put 5 gallons in it and had 3 inches left, why didn't you just keep filling it up to the top? Fill the remaining 3 inches with half gallons, or quarts.

Only because I don't feel like math at the moment... ;)

If you already put 5 gallons in it and had 3 inches left, why didn't you just keep filling it up to the top? Fill the remaining 3 inches with half gallons, or quarts.

Only because I don't feel like math at the moment... ;)

at 5, I had 3 inches, I put 1 more totaling 6 and there was 1.25 left, I just fugured if 1 galon took 1.75 then 1.25 had to be close to 2or 3 quarts. gallon jugs arent the most precise measuring devices, thats why I was hoping to find someone who had this same brand and size. :fro:

If you have 3" of room top the top I wouldn't do a 5 gal boil..... one being if your doing it on a stove top, and doing an ice bath just trying to move the pot with boiling wort would be sketchy even with a lid on, The other is on your first hop addition you'll get super close to a boil over unless you turn off heat during the addition

Thanks for the advice, I will probaly do 4 gallons and add one of my pre boiled gallons or some spring water to top it off once in fermentor:tank:. I know what you mean by trying to move it around. I had 6 gallons of hot water today and it was heavy, I didn't spill the water, but my pants were blackened from the soot on the pan. That sucked!

Easy way to tell, get a measuring cup and start filling... 4 cups to a quart, 4 quarts to a gallon... other way would be to weigh the pot empty then fill with water to the rim, 8lbs per gallon.

For a straight sided pot this is exactly how it's figured. It's right, and better than using a measuring cup since they are only within 5% accurate. Water weigh 8.34 lbs a gallon and is a better method than measuring cups. Use the above 137.88 as a reference, if you fill the pot 8" = 4.78 gallon at 9" = 5.37 gallon 10" = 5.96 gallon.

^^^
It's the other way around...a liter is a little more than a quart.

1qt = 32 oz, 1L = 33.8 oz.

The pot would be roughly 26qt or roughly 25L.

Latest posts

Back