"fixing" a keg lid opening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weaselchew

Reaction score
I've been rather busy with some other projects and don't have an angle grinder, so I had someone else cut an opening in my keg for a lid for me.

The opening is a bit "out of round" so it looks a bit odd. They also cut the opening undersized (maybe 1/4" - 1/2" or so), so I have some wiggle room to enlarge it enough to fit the lid I have. Has anyone here repaired their keg from a similar issue?

I was thinking of making some sort of wooden jig that would sit over the upper skirt portion (or whatever it is called, with the cutouts for handles) that could hold a marker or scribe at the correct distance to mark a line to grind/sand the opening. I think the skirt has a bit of a bend to it, so it also is not likely completely round.

Any other ideas? Maybe even just a straight board that can fit against the skirt on the inside that i could use to space a marker/scribe/cutter at the proper diameter?

As far as cutting goes, I'm guessing my best bet would be to actually go buy an angle grinder? I do have a dremel, but that would take forever.

Use a marker on a string to cut a perfectly round piece of cardboard the size you need.

Center that on your keg and make your line. Then you can free hand it or make a jig. Grab an angle grinder you will find uses to make it pay for itself. A cutting wheel is necessary, a flap wheel is really nice to have.

I traced the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket on the top of my keg. It was a nice, round, 12" hole, which is perfect for the lid I had.

Whether you use a bucket, cardboard, or the lid you mentioned you already have to mark the correct sized circle on there is the easy part. If you go with an angle grinder you are going to have a difficult time free handing it and staying on your line. If you are lucky you can rest the back of the angle grinder on the skirt and it will be the correct distance to your mark. You may be able to flip it around and zip tie some pieces of wood to it to set the correct distance in from the skirt.

Your other option would be to mark your cut and take it to a shop and have them plasma cut it for you.

Whether you use a bucket, cardboard, or the lid you mentioned you already have to mark the correct sized circle on there is the easy part. If you go with an angle grinder you are going to have a difficult time free handing it and staying on your line. If you are lucky you can rest the back of the angle grinder on the skirt and it will be the correct distance to your mark. You may be able to flip it around and zip tie some pieces of wood to it to set the correct distance in from the skirt.

Your other option would be to mark your cut and take it to a shop and have them plasma cut it for you.

exactly the advice I was going to give. I have cut three of them, the last two I used a simple jig and loved the results. My first keggle has a hole that is a bit jangly - but it isn't sharp and works for my boil kettle.

some pictures would be great!

I recognized the difficulty in getting a nice clean cut without a jig so I did my research and ended up with this.

image-866768768.jpg

I already had the angle grinder, hole saw, scrap 2x4 and zip ties. I just needed to get a new cutoff disc and I was in business. I have cut 2 tops off so far and the both turned out great. I went back with the dremel to sand off the burs.

It's a bit late to build a jig that works off the center opening, it's already cut off.

You can see the hole isn't exactly "round" although it's not terrible. From what they said, it was cutting relatively correct until the end. They drilled 2 holes in the top and used some sort of mechanical "nibbler" to cut through it.

IMG_20121105_174102.jpg

While not terribly efficient, in this case it would probably be easiest just to grind to your lines, then flap wheel it smooth.

I suppose I could cut the whole thing open if everything goes wrong, but I'd like to keep it to size to fit my 12" lid.

Agree with using a flap wheel or grinding wheel then flap wheel to just grind to your line or almost to your line and then clean it up with the flap wheel.
In my experiance it won't take you very long to do this.
Put a gal or two of water inside the keg and use the proper PPE and go for it.

Back