Looking for some critiques/advice on this Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betelgeuse4721

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to make a rye pale ale (extract) that has serious hop kick and some darker things going on with it.

Here's what I have so far - any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated:

10# Rye Malt Syrup

.75# Rye Malt
.75# Caramel 40L
.50# Flaked Rye
.50# Medium Crystal
.25# Roasted Barley
.25# Chocolate Malt
Steep grains until 170F

1oz. Centennial @ 60min.
1oz. Centennial @ 20min.
1oz. Cascade @ 10min.
1oz. Cascade @ 5min.
1oz. Cascade @ 0min.
1oz. Cascade after 2 weeks fermentation (dry hopped)

White Labs California Ale

I think you should choose between the chocolate and the roasted barley. If you truly want to keep this a "pale" ale then one of those would be a good candidate to get rid of. I'd personally get rid of the roasted barley and keep a bit of chocolate for a darker counterpoint to the citrusy hops. Also, what exactly do you mean by "medium crystal"? That seems to be pretty similar to the caramel 40L. Maybe get rid of one of those.

Otherwise it looks like a solid recipe. I just bottled a rye pale ale last week with a similar hop schedule and the hydrometer sample tasted amazing. Good luck.

Not sure, I just saw a medium crystal grain on NortherBrewer and the description is fairly similar to the caramel40L - I'll probably get rid of that and the roasted barley like you mentioned. Thank you for the advice!!

Back