Will hop flavor/aroma develop after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
Hey all! I tried a bottle of my IPA last night, it's been 1 week, and of course it tasted green - slightly sweet and bitter. Was expecting that but just wanted to check it's progress - it's carbin' up nicely. What I didn't expect was the lack of hops flavor/aroma. I was really shooting for a nice citrusy IPA. Will they come through after it's fully carbed/conditioned? It's my understanding that the hops will continue to mellow with age. I'll give another one a try after 2 weeks.

Here was my recipe.
13lbs 2-row
.5 crystal 60
.5 carapils

.75 chinook @ 60
.25 chinook @ 45
1.5 amarillo @ 15
.50 amarillo @ 10
1 citra @ 7
1 cascade @ flameout.

1 amarillo Whole leaf DH 10days
1 Citra whole leaf DH 10days.

6.5g boil
5.5g post

SG 1.063 - FG 1.010

Not sure if this is always the case but I found with a hoppy brown ale I recently made that when it's still very green tasting I refrigerated it for less time, basically just enough to be just cold enough to drink (maybe 4 hours) and it was 10x better than when it was in the fridge for a few days, much stronger hop flavour and aroma. It probably wasn't as good a solution as waiting a few weeks but this was my first real hoppy beer so I didn't know when exactly it would be at it's best and have been tasting periodically from one week in the bottle on wards.

Not sure if this is always the case but I found with a hoppy brown ale I recently made that when it's still very green tasting I refrigerated it for less time, basically just enough to be just cold enough to drink (maybe 4 hours) and it was 10x better than when it was in the fridge for a few days, much stronger hop flavour and aroma. It probably wasn't as good a solution as waiting a few weeks but this was my first real hoppy beer so I didn't know when exactly it would be at it's best and have been tasting periodically from one week in the bottle on wards.

yeah one reason i liked bottling, its such a shame to drink them every week to "taste periodically" or at least thats what i told the wife :mug:

Back