Flipping the high pressure input side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turlian

Reaction score
Pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just for a sanity check: can you flip the high pressure input on a secondary regulator? Currently, it's on the right side of the regulator, as is common, but my CO2 tank is to the left. Rather than run a hose up and around, I'd like to just unscrew the input from the right and put it on the left.

I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't work, but as I said - sanity check.

It's a little unclear what you're asking. Do you mean you want to hook the high pressure CO2 line up to the low pressure line, and then the high pressure line to the keg?

If that's what you're asking, then no, don't do it. The regulator works by stepping down the pressure using a diaphragm, it's only designed to flow one way and if you reverse the direction it won't be able to regulate and will probably be damaged. Not to mention it's a safety hazard. If it didn't matter which side was which, they wouldn't label them...

Flip the secondary regulator upside down maybe?

So, the high pressure side of the regulator is all along the back side of it. The left side is where you would attach additional regulators or a pressure gauge.

Think of it like this: on a primary regulator could you swap your high pressure gauge and your CO2 input?

I've been curious about this as well, but have been unable to find any information about it so far.

To word it another way for those reading, when you're looking at the gauges (and knob) on the regulator, the CO2 tank or line always comes in on the right of the regulator.
Is it possible to reverse it, so that the tank/line would be on the LEFT side of the regulator, with high pressure gauge to the right?

Only other way I've seen it done is to turn the regulator upside down, which looks silly (gauges are all upside down), and then puts your output up in the air.

Most secondary regulators have "high side" on each side, but it's not a high pressure as a primary regulator. The 2 ports are a "straight thru" design.

So, if your primary pushes out at say 30 PSI, you can attach the output of that to either the left side or right side of the high pressure input of the secondary.

If you mount them as a 6-gang, all 6 regulators are getting the same 30 PSI, straight thru.

Keep in mind that we're talking REGULATOR, NOT gauge.

As per this pic, all input (high side) ports are getting the same 30PSI (e.g.)

414.jpg

MC

Back