First attempt at soda.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turtlescales

Reaction score
I saw some of the recipes for basic soda and had to give it a go. I made a bottle of Yooper's Easy Ginger Soda, and a second where I just winged it.

I added-
1/2 tsp red star champagne yeast
3/4 cup caramelized brown sugar
1 TBS vanilla extract
Juice of one lemon

The plastic 2 liter bottle was rock hard within 24 hours, the ginger soda took 48. I was very surprised by how intense the carbonation was in the first soda, though it was not nearly sweet enough for my liking. It also smelled rather strongly of beer. It spent 24 hours in the fridge as well, either I used too much yeast or waited to long to drink it?

Update- The ginger soda is delicious.

I haven't cracked open the ginger soda yet, I think when I get home tonight I will. That one has been in the fridge for a couple of days now. Are these supposed to be drank immediately? I used 1/4 tsp champagne yeast in the ginger soda like the recipe said, but had found different recipes ranging from 1/4 of yeast to a full teaspoon so figured I'd experiment a touch. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back