aged beer in a bag kit question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Brewing3

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this?
I have a friend who gave me a beer in a bag kit from Clydesdale brewery that he said has been hanging in his garage for years. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work, I am out some water and some iodophor.
It was basically add hot water, shake the hell out of it, add cold water and yeast. I rehydrated the yeast and suprisingly it looked healthy so I went for it. the entire thing was sealed and had a cap on it that was supposed to keep everything sanitary until used.
My question is should I have any concerns with the fact that it sat so long as far as anything that could be unhealthly to drink? I don't have great hope that it will be a delicious beer, but don't want it to make me sick. How long should ingredients stay good? Especially hanging in a garage through temperature changes.

I have never heard of beer in a bag, but whatever ingredients were included have probably gone stale some time ago. I would be concerned that nothing was boiled, creating a great habitat for enteric bacteria. If the yeast survived and created alcohol, the low pH and alcohol content of the beer should make an inhospitable environment for such enteric microorganisms to survive. It is often said that no known pathogens can survive in beer, but enteric bacteria can create flavors and aromas similar to vomit and feces. After the yeast is fully attenuated, maybe you should let your nose be your guide.

I have never heard of beer in a bag, but whatever ingredients were included have probably gone stale some time ago. I would be concerned that nothing was boiled, creating a great habitat for enteric bacteria. If the yeast survived and created alcohol, the low pH and alcohol content of the beer should make an inhospitable environment for such enteric microorganisms to survive. It is often said that no known pathogens can survive in beer, but enteric bacteria can create flavors and aromas similar to vomit and feces. After the yeast is fully attenuated, maybe you should let your nose be your guide.

That sounds pleasant:cross: So if it smells like vomit and/or feces I shouldn't drink it. That should be easy enough.
I had never heard of beer in a bag either. He gave it to me and I went ahead and made it, so we'll see what happens. I guess if it smells like beer, it is safe to try it?

I have read a few posts about beer in a bag, and it seems like they were sealed, sanitary packages. Probably no worries about bacteria if you kept things clean. I'm pretty surprised the yeast was still viable! Did you notice manufacture dates anywhere?

If the malt extract staled due to age and temperature swings, this might have a heck of a twang, but I'd guess it will be okay healthwise to drink. Be sure to share one with your friend to let him know what he missed out on!

Just an update to all. I let it sit and ferment for a while to let it try to clear itself as best I could. It's been almost 3 months and I tasted it yesterday. I would say it was a bit stale. It looked okay when I poured the glass. Smelled a good bit sour. But it tasted like tomato juice. I left it to see if it doesn't clear itself some more...but I am not too hopeful. Anyway, thought I would update you guys and thanks for all the help.

I'm pretty surprised the yeast was still viable!

Someone posted the other day that scientists found a colony of yeast encased in amber that was like 10,000 years old. They essentially rehydrated it and gave it a little sugar water, and the colony was alive and well and reproducing in short order.

They are resilient little buggers!

Back