Shank bore size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I'm doing a keezer build and can't find much info on whether to get shanks with a 1/4" or 3/16" bore size. Any opinions? What would be the difference between the two, more foaming from one vs. the other? Also, any opinion on whether to spend the extra $ on stainless?

In my keezer, I got 1/4 bore on the shanks, and 3/16 on the tubing. Soak the tubing in very hot water and wiggle on, then hose clamp.

3/16 x 5-6 feet seems to be a standard to equalize the pressure and minimize foaming when pouring a brew. (gas lines don't matter, just the beverage out)

I've read quite a bit about beer line lengths and diameters needing to be certain values, that's why I'm so curious about the shank bore diameter. I'll have a 5" shank, so I have to imagine that the bore size will have some effect on the pour. I'll probably get 3/16 shanks to match my beer line.

Most people match the shank bore to their line ID. In theory sudden resistance changes close to the exit point can increase the chance of foaming. I started kegging with a mish mash of used parts, and there wasn't much difference between the various bore sizes, so I don't think it really matters much.

Back