BrewMate, Free Beer Recipe Designer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyrob

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to add a plug for some brewing software i've been working on:

BrewMate, the free, light-weight and easy-to-use beer recipe designer. http://www.brewmate.net

here is a screenshot of the main recipe designer window ==>

BrewMate_Tooltips.png

here is one of the key features, a Forum Friendly export ==>

House Pale (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050
Colour (SRM): 5.3
Bitterness (IBU): 34.9

90% Pale Ale Malt
5% Munich I
5% Wheat Malt

0.7 g/l East Kent Golding (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/l Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/l Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 90 Minutes

Fermented at 20°c with Safale US-05

Be keen to hear what you guys think!

Many Thanks Rob.

We don't want software in Nazi measurements. Get me back to an American measuring system.

Don't be offended, it's from Gus Porter, American mountain man. Funny stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

lol @ wildwest!

Thanks for the interest, have made some progress on adding US Units to BrewMate, if there are any devs out there that are willing to contribute to the development of US Units in BrewMate please hit me up!

Have a good weekend

Rob.

I see a brewday button - what does it have there.

Anything like water vcalcs, efficiency clacs, etc? or is this strictly recipe creation.

Nice work BTW. looks nice.

Just checked your website. Looks like it's got the essentials. I have been looking for a replacement for ProMash. promash is pretty powerfull but the interface is dated and not that user friendly.

Add full US support (gallons/ oz/ F/ etc) And I will give this a shot. It's not that I mind metric. But all my recipes are in lbs / oz and it would be a pain to convert. And then buying ingredients would be a pain too. We just have to make everything complicated here in the USA.

seems intersting... i was thinking of making one too but thus far have not been motivated to do it yet

also...

ahahahahahahahahah!!!! at wildwests post :cheers:

Hey Guys,

I've just uploaded the BrewMate version (V1.00) for you to have a look at

http://www.brewmate.net/release//BrewMateSetup.exe

Enhancements

* Added US Internationalization

Full Support for Gallons (G), Fahrenheit (*F), Ounces (oz) & Pounds (lb) throughout the program.

NOTE to existing users, your settings will not be overwritten by this (or any future updates)

Cheers Rob.

Played around with it tonight. Something is funny woth the "brewday" options when using US units.

Strike water is gallon,

Waterto grain ratio is qts/kg.

Something is not working out.

Otherwise looks great.

Hey Special Hops,

The theory was you could switch between units, so in your example the Volume units were in gallons and the Grain units in Kilograms so the Water to Grain Ratio is qts/kg, I'll have a look into making it a bit easier to understand. Also I've just recently picked up a US developer who will be beefing up the Brew Day section of the program

Cheers Rob.

I have beersmith, so I don't really need another software, BUT if this were compatible with DROID, like as a *hint hint* APP. Then I would definietly be interested in it, since it seems a droid app for beersmith will never happen. But if this allowed you to imoport previously saved beer.xml files, like from beersmith into this onto our DROID phones, then YOU WOULD BE A BEER GOD AMONG MEN, and we would name our next beers, and first born after you.

Is that incentive enough to give us a DROID APP *hint hint*

If not maybe this thread will as well will give you ideas https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/wo...batch-manager-android-whos-interested-177638/

That, and the promise of untold riches, slave girls and beers named after you should get your programming genes a fluttering.

:mug:

My setting are all pounds, gallons, and brew day settings it shows qts/lbs. So I put 1.25 as my default. But on the actual brew day screen it shows up as 1.25 qts/kg

Also - in the recipe I have 25.5 pounds of gain. On the brew day screen it shows up as 25.5 kg of grains.

Hey Fletch78,

Only a minor release...

BrewMate v1.05 30/1/11

*Strike Temp Calc now active while using US Units

* program now exits if an update is being done.

* added screen res tweaks

* removed all unused sounds stuff (for alarms)

* few small tweaks for US stuff.

fair bit more background work on US units in Brewday mode then i'll add BIAB Support!

Cheers for the interest Rob.

I've been using this for my last two batches and I love this program !!! only thing I would add is more extract options for example "hopped LME" and a wat to calculate the final IBU's based on this. besides this the software is pretty damn accurate only about .01- off on gravity and the SRM scale I don't believe is 100 % but still close. GREAT WORK !!!! cheers.

I just switched from qbrew to BrewMate and I like it pretty well.

Favorite features:
1) Calculates and shows the percentage of each fermentable.
2) Show contribution to IBU from each hop addition.
3) Easy to add to databases. I could never get that to work
with qbrew, probably because Vista doesn't like programs to
modify files in the "Program Files" directory.

Least Favorite:
1) If I save then quit, it gives me a message saying,
"Any unsaved changes will be lost. Yes /No".
And it frickin dings/beeps when it does that. As a programmer
I can tell you, never display that message when it's not needed
-- and never, never, never ding, beep, etc. at a user.

Things I miss from qbrew:
1) I could customize the name of an ingredient in a recipe
(with a brand name for instance) without actually having
to add it as a new ingredient in the database. Of course
that was doubly important since I couldn't actually add new
ingredients in qbrew.
2) A list of the style guidelines for the current recipe was
visible. In BrewMate, you have to hover over a field to get
a tooltip showing the guidelines.

Overall, a nice effort, and a really useful program. Now I'm just
looking for a way to organize and search my recipes. Um, all six
so far, but growing quickly.

I just downloaded this and started playing with it. So far I can't come up with anything it does not have that need. Seems like a very straight forward cool program.

Apparently the website is blocked by Comcast here in Portland, at least at my house;) . I was able to download it using a web proxy. It won't run on my XP install on my old laptop, but does run on my wife's Vista computer.

All in all it appears to be a nice program for brewing, might start using it for my BIAB instead of BTP.

I have been playing with it and I'm wondering what the "Balance Value" in the upper right corner represents. It seems to have something to do with IBUs versus OG.

I couldn't find this either but I saw a screenshot of it on the website. I'd be interested to know as well!

Downloaded version 1.10.

I'm not seeing the Brewday Button?

Any thoughts?

It took me a while to figure out, but to get your Brew Day button you have to change your settings for weight unit from lbs to kilos and your volume from gallons to liters.

I usually get all my stuff entered in and then switch over at the last minute for the brew day button.

It took me a while to figure out, but to get your Brew Day button you have to change your settings for weight unit from lbs to kilos and your volume from gallons to liters.

I usually get all my stuff entered in and then switch over at the last minute for the brew day button.

Thanks for showing me how to find it... seems a bit odd to have to do that.

I hope there are plans to provide the Brew Day mode in the Units that the recipe is created in??

Ed

Thanks for showing me how to find it... seems a bit odd to have to do that.

I hope there are plans to provide the Brew Day mode in the Units that the recipe is created in??

Ed
I agree 100% ...... granted it's helping me learn conversions but wow what a pain in the as* !!! shouldn't have to go through all the trouble of convertng to use this feature.

I've been messing around with this a little bit, and so far I like it. I've not used other programs, but I love that I can go into "edit" and make my own changes to styles, and add any type of ingredient I want. Question is, when adding fermentables, I need to enter "Potential Extract". How does this comare to "Extract %" that is listed on my brew supply website? For example, a malt on the supply site show "Extract % 75%", and ingredients in the program show "Potential Extract 1.030". But I'm not sure how to add a malt from the website into the program and convert Extract %.

I just gave this a look and love it!

I'm very new to homebrew and was looking for something to help keep me on track and this seems great. I gave Beer Smith a look, but it is a tad too complex for me at the moment.

When I get round to an all grain recipe (giving a kit another go next, just to make sure I can get a good technique), I'll definitely give this a go.

Frenchy - I sent you a PM before with some help here is a another answer to the solution

"What does it mean for a malt to have a dry basis fine grind (DBFG) extract yield of 78%? To answer this question we begin with sucrose or ordinary table sugar. If you dissolve 1 pound of sucrose in 1 gallon of water the mixture will have 46.21 gravity units or a specific gravity (SG) of 1.04621. If your malt has a DBFG of 78%, then the maximum potential yield of the malt is 78% of the yield for sucrose, that is, 78%*46.21 or 36.04 gravity units (SG of 1.03604) for 1 pound of malt in a gallon of water."

Cheers Rob.

Hello HiGravShawn,

Can you pls give it a go for me again and report back?

Perhaps the hosting company was having an issue, I sent them an email but seems to be working now

Cheers Rob.

Back