Currently Sparging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
So I am currently sparging, and my wife just called and said she needs to be picked up in 45 minutes....

Will my batch be okay to wait to start the boil? What potential pitfalls am I facing with my batch? Should I bring the BK inside where it is warmer?

Well, this is probably too late. If you left it in the mash, it may have developed a slightly sour quality -- not unlike sour mash. That could wind up being tasty. If you put it in your boil pot and waited to start your boil, you are fine. You'll get some bacteria, but the boil will kill them off.

I doubt it will cause any problems, just cover and try to keep warm to minimize the time wasted bringing it up to a boil when you get back. I'd go ahead and finish your sparge and get it all in the BK though. Not sure if you do a Mash out or not, but you could end up with some mighty fermentable wort after a 2hr+ mash (just guesstimating drive time and such).

Terje

Thanks guys. I figured as much, just wanted to double check. I'm sure this will be far from my best batch though.

Back