sanitation/wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metaltim

Reaction score
if I'm doing a partial boil, can I pre-boil a gallon of water, let it cool to room temp, then simply add that gallon of water to an empty milk jug, put in correct amount of iodophor, put it in freezer a couple hours before wort boil, then just pour that water in to my post boiled wort to help chill?

I guess my question is, can the actual sanitizing water be used to chill wort? Or is that not safe?

I don't think you'll want to add a gallon of iodophor water to your wort. It's OK to leave a few drips behind, but you'll probably taste it if you use a full gallon. Why do you need iodophor in the water if it's been boiled anyway?

the iodophor is for the container, not the water.

and that's where my question lies.. i was wondering if I could save the step of sanitizing the container only to empty it, instead just pouring the actual sanitizing water in the wort.

I thought iodophor left no taste, is that only assuming what's left on surfaces after you've poured out the sanitizing water?

Why not just sanitize the gallon jug you wish to use as if it were a carboy, boil the water, pour the water in the jug, and then stick it in the freezer? I dunno, I'm new to homebrewing, so I may be overlooking something.

there are a lot of people who don't boil the water first when topping off they just add tap water . I would just buy some spring water throw it in the freezer and get it close to freezing then sanitize the outside just before adding it to the hot wort .

Yeah, I usually just buy some gallon jugs... and toss one in the freezer several hours before brew time. Helps bring the temp down, and its good clean water. I would not waste my time boiling and sanitizing, just to save 60 cents at the grocery store =)

Back