Another ******* Bartender Thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This evening I went to a small farm-town bar that has a micro brewery. They had three micro-beers on tap;
  • Bock
  • Red Ale
  • Wheat
I order the "Red Ale". It comes back really deep red, maybe just dark. I can't tell the bar is dark. I'm at a table. The chairs at the table are hard and lumpy and not all that comfy for enjoying a beer after a 13 hr day.

I order my dinner and tell the waiter I'm moving to the bar. I get my food eat it all down as I am starving. Finish my beer. Then I order another "Red Ale".....

I'm not paying attention during the pour, but my "Red Ale" is a solid red. I'm like OK, I must have gotten the bock before. Not a big deal.

I order my 3rd.... The barkeep pulls the bock tap. I'm like, "Hey I want a red!" He's like "Yah I know...." Then he shuts off the tap when the glass is 1/3 full. He slides down to the "Miller Lite" and tops it off!!!!!

I'm like WTF is that????? He' like. That's how we make them. :drunk:

He asks if I still want it, I'm yah Ok and I laugh it off (EAC attititude is barely suppressed - Think big Harley-Dude, prolly not worth pissin' off).

He said "We are out of Red Ale right now so that's how we have to make them."

I drink it down then say, OK I'd like to try the wheat.

He goes we are out of that too.

I guess you can't pass off a wheat mixing bock with some other beer. :D

Not a ******* bartender, a ******* brewpub. They have 3 beers and they are out of two? That brewer needs a wake up call.

Tops it off!!! lol I bet you were the only one that noticed that. But to make that even better, everyone else that ordered the red was paying the usually price and only getting a 1/3 of a micro bock, and were none the smarter to what was going on. I love that.

Not a ******* bartender, a ******* brewpub. They have 3 beers and they are out of two? That brewer needs a wake up call.

I'd say both. Why can't they erase the chaulk board or say we are out of that beer.

They have all of the New Belgium beers, and several other micros from what I could see from the bar.

If they where not out of the wheat, I'd of asked for a weizenbock!!!! :D

Big Harley dude or not, I don't think I would have been as kind if someone did that to my beer, but then again I'm almost 6'6", so I can get away with more than some people can. :D

I take it quality control isn't one of their strong points.

That's an under statement! Either way the beers are rather flavorless. The 100% bock was free of defect but it was a low ABV. Now I'd say never I know if anything else I had was a mixed up macro-micro. I had a wheat there before that was like a boulevard.

FYI - Iowa has an antiquated beer law that limits all beers to something less than 5-6%. My HB Club is lobbying the state assembly.

http://www.liftthelimit.org/law.shtml

FYI - Iowa has an antiquated beer law that limits all beers to something less than 5-6%. My HB Club is lobbying the state assemby.

Oh sh..., I was born there, now I am sooo glad I move away as a 6 year old. Actually I loved it as a kid, I'm sure as an adult it would not be that great.

And if you had asked for a Bud? "Yes sir, we fill the glass almost full with water and then p*ss in it to top it off.....That's how we make them."

That really was some story!! :(

Being from Iowa as well, can you PM me the name of this place so I can avoid the half and half experience? What a bunch of crap! Harley guy or not, he deserves a swift kick to the bean bag for pulling that ****! If you're out, you're out - don't concoct something new and try to pass it off as your "craft" beer. If your "craft" is mixing commercial beer and half-assed micro beer then you must have a pretty low opinion of your own beer. Sad, just effing sad! :mad:

IF the brewer still works there, you have to question his/her brewing ethics.

Most of us are control freaks of some form or another, so I can't imagine a brewer allowing this kind of beer mixology. That has to be the strangest way of making more money on cheap beer. Might as well swap the tap handles and see if anyone notices.

Where did they get the bock? Commercial keg claiming to be brew pub's own?

wow.

This place in Shenandoah Iowa. SW Iowa... near Missouri

Its called "The Depot"

The place is a towny bar with a Brewery that seems like its an overgrown hobby for the owner. My guess is the owner is the brewer, but I'm not sure about that. It looks like they have lost interest in beer making. They don't offer seasonals. Thinking back I don't seem to recall them having anything other than these 3 styles. ( Maybe only 1 :D)

It looks like they have a huge fermentor in the back. You can see it from the windows in the parking lot. Its about 6~8' tall and at least 3~4' in diameter.

This place in Shenandoah Iowa. SW Iowa... near Missouri

Its called "The Depot"

The place is a towny bar with a Brewery that seems like its an overgrown hobby for the owner. My guess is the owner is the brewer, but I'm not sure about that. It looks like they have lost interest in beer making. They don't offer seasonals. Thinking back I don't seem to recall them having anything other than these 3 styles. ( Maybe only 1 :D)

It looks like they have a huge fermentor in the back. You can see it from the windows in the parking lot. Its about 6~8' tall and at least 3~4' in diameter.

Offer them $100 and free hauling for the fermenter. Since they aren't using it anyway :D

Golden Valley Light

1/4 3rd Street Wheat
1/4 Grand Island Golden
1/2 soda water

In a frosted mug, of course.

I went there again tonight. Got me a 3-taco diner and drank only bocks.

The bartender is not a bad guy, sat next to his SWMBO and they seem like OK people. They are just not beer officianados

I think the owner is very lax on the brewing.... doesn't think regular brewing is all that important.

Me thinks he doesn't know how market micro-brews. He could make three types; Balanced, Malty & Hoppy. This could satisfy the pseudo-beer experts. (Non-EAC Certified)

Making something like Biermunchers 3 crop would be easy and a good money maker.

One could make some good money if they did something like this when the competition is so piss poor!!!

Back