cider has a heavy mouth feel?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmmcider

Reaction score
hello all, first time poster. i have been hovering on this site for a few weeks now and have learned a lot already. i love reading about the endless creative experiments that some of you come up with, definitely a creative bunch :rockin:.
i have made a strawberry cider that turned out absolutely wonderful (flavor wise), but it feels very heavy in the mouth, almost syrupy, not that thick but still heavy. how would i go about making it lighter? i don't know if i am making sense or not but that is the only way i can think to explain it, i don't really have the vocabulary to put it any other way (public education:()
here is how i did it
1 gal apple juice
6 oz molasses
6 oz honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 cans apple juice concentrate
1/3 pkg cuvee yeast
15 raisons

rack to secondary on top of
20 fresh strawberries
32 oz pure blueberry juice

og: 1.095 racked at 1.015 bottled at 1.015.

hello all, first time poster. i have been hovering on this site for a few weeks now and have learned a lot already. i love reading about the endless creative experiments that some of you come up with, definitely a creative bunch :rockin:.
i have made a strawberry cider that turned out absolutely wonderful (flavor wise), but it feels very heavy in the mouth, almost syrupy, not that thick but still heavy. how would i go about making it lighter? i don't know if i am making sense or not but that is the only way i can think to explain it, i don't really have the vocabulary to put it any other way (public education:()
here is how i did it
1 gal apple juice
6 oz molasses
6 oz honey
1 cup brown sugar
2 cans apple juice concentrate
1/3 pkg cuvee yeast
15 raisons

rack to secondary on top of
20 fresh strawberries
32 oz pure blueberry juice

og: 1.095 racked at 1.015 bottled at 1.015.

If you used cuvee yeast, and it only dropped 80 points, it doesn't sound finished. Watch for bottle bombs because that should go to .990.

It may feel "thick" because that's alot of stuff in there. Between the juices, the raisins, the fruits, etc, that looks very full and thick.

i did pasteurize it, using the stove top method. and i do keep it refrigerated at about 36-38 deg. so (knock on wood) i should be bomb free. which actually brings up another question, is it better to age at room temp or is the fridge ok?

Back