Types of beer. Learning about the varieties.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchillingBrewing

Reaction score
I know a decent amount about beer but I see varieties of beer on this forum that I actually don't know much about. Like a saison and many others I just want to learn more about the varieties of beer and how to tell them apart.

So my question: are there any good videos, books, or sites that I can use to learn more about beer varieties and sub-varieties?

BJCP guidelines are a good idea of style
Designing Great Beers is a good resource
Farmhouse Ales is another which deals specifically with Saisons and Bier De Garde as well ass a few other regionals

In one book though? Haven't found one that covers them all, I am guessing if there was one that went into enough detail on each it would be a couple thousand pages at least.

Brewing Classic Styles is a good book that will give you an overview of the different BJCP recognized styles as well as recipes and advice on how to brew them. Then from there you can research/get more info on styles that really grab your interest.

The most enjoyable way to learn is to find a beer store that sells a lot of diferent kinds of beer by the bottle, and sample them all!!! };-}

It is called research.. Find commercial examples of the different styles. The BJCP guidelines give a list of examples of each style at the end of the description.

I do a lot of research.....:drunk:

Back