Trying to make an ale version of Blue Paddle Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife had a Blue Paddle Pilsner Lager from New Belgium Brewing and now would like me to try to make something similar but I am not set up for brewing lagers. This beer seems to have more hops than most common lagers. Anyone have opinions on how this might turn out? I tried seraching online for information on a clone recipe but came up with very little

5 lbs Pilsen malt
3 lbs Pale malt
1 lb Munich malt
8 oz Carapils
8 oz Flaked Wheat
8 oz Crystal 10L
0.67 oz Perle 60 min
1.00 oz Saaz 30 min
1.00 oz Hallertauer 5 min
White labs American Ale yeast
1 lb Munich

You won't have that same flavor with an ale yeast. The lager yeasts are much cleaning and nicer. My guess is that it would taste like a weak pale ale. What is the temp in your garage right now? May be a good temp to use a lager yeast (45 - 55 degrees).

I was doing some research when I first got into lagering, actually found a lot of threads on HBT about using lager yeast at ale temps. As mentioned if you have a garage or something you might be able to make it work. As for the actual lagering process you can do it in your regular refrigerator, just remove the middle shelf and bam, your lagering!! That is, provided the SWMBO won't stab you while you sleep for trying it.

As for the recipe, I'm guessing the 1 lb of Munich 2x was a typo? The last hop addition seems kind of heavy, but I haven't had Blue Paddle in a while.

Let us know how it goes, Blue Paddle is one of the few pils I actually buy.

My garage is at 30-32 F right now which seems too low for lagering. I am guessing about the Munich because I did see one extract recipe wanting to use 2 lbs of cara-munich liquid malt extract so I thought this 1 lb of Munich might be needed. It might be time to find a smaller fridge off of Craigs list to get this lagering thing going.

Back