Found a magnetic pump, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest factor is can it handle hot liquids(at least 170Deg). If it can't, then there is not much use for it at all.

The pumps, and heads, used for brewing are rated [at least] to 250F in order to handle any liquid that could be run through it. March and chugger pumps, and heads, are so rated. If the pump you found isn't rated for the temperatures, and is food safe, do NOT use it in brewing. I needs to be both food safe AND rated to above boiling temperatures. It also helps if the inlet/outlet are 1/2" pipe thread (or at least 3/4" pipe thread so you can slap an adapter onto it). Then you can connect/attach fittings to use it.

The biggest factor is can it handle hot liquids(at least 170Deg). If it can't, then there is not much use for it at all.

The pumps, and heads, used for brewing are rated [at least] to 250F in order to handle any liquid that could be run through it. March and chugger pumps, and heads, are so rated. If the pump you found isn't rated for the temperatures, and is food safe, do NOT use it in brewing. I needs to be both food safe AND rated to above boiling temperatures. It also helps if the inlet/outlet are 1/2" pipe thread (or at least 3/4" pipe thread so you can slap an adapter onto it). Then you can connect/attach fittings to use it.

Thanks for the information. Ill look up the serial number and try to figure out exactly what I got...take care

They are commonly used to transfer hot wort. I plan to get one in the next few months and build a RIMS system. This pumps wort out of the lower end of a MLT and heats it to a selected temperature and dumps it back in the MLT. It allows you to keep perfect (or near perfect) Mash temps. It also allows you to do different Mash rests with only the push of a button.

Latest posts

Back