Recipe Comments-Hoppy Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I decided to make a hoppy red ale extract. Came up with this. Trying to keep things simple.

Grains:
1lb crushed crystal 60
1 lb crushed crystal 40
2.5 oz crushed roasted barley

6.6 lbs Golden Light LME

Hops:
1 OZ amarillo (50)
1 OZ Cascade (30)
1 OZ Cascade (10)

Dry Hop in secondary:
1 OZ amarillo
1 OZ cascade

Bottled a batch a week ago, gonna make another batch. Any suggestions/changes for the new batch?

I don't understand the hopping. You used only 30, 15 and 10 minute hops and dryhopping? Or am I reading that wrong (they are in a "funny" order)?

Two pounds of crystal malt seems like a lot. What did you wind up with for FG? Also, was the color right? With the crystal and the roasted barley I would have thought you'd be getting into "brown" territory.

No. I added Amarillo with 50 min left in the boil, cascades with 30, and cascades with 10. Sorry for the confusion. :drunk:

I normally don't "waste" amarillo hops (which are very hard to get and more expensive than many other hops) for bittering, since they have such great flavor and aroma. But it won't hurt the beer at all, of course. It won't be really hoppy, with only one flavor addition, but the dryhops will help.

If I was changing this recipe at all, I'd change up the hopping a bit, and then use different crystal malts to "layer" the flavor. (60 L and 40L are very similar so it's pretty much just doubling up on the same crystal)

I'd use .75 pound 20L and .5 pound 80L, as an example.

The guy at a homebrew shop near me is a pilot and still stocks amarillos. They arent even that much more expensive. Im considering just going and stocking up if I get any good amarillo kick in this one (I dont know how old the hops they had are, and they dont store them cold, so who knows.)

Latest posts

Back