Natural Gas or Propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerguyNC61

Reaction score
I am getting ready to jump into all grain and starting from the ground up with equipment. I have a NG line available on the deck and in a brew room. My question is which is better, NG or Propane for boiling quickly and more efficient?
And if this has been beaten to death already in other post just point me to them. A more recent thread thank you.....

:mug:
Cheers

Anteup....
I was hoping for experience from brewers here not an explanation of one type of gas vs the other..........
But you get a D for effort....:D

I dont have accsess to a gas line
But when the LP burner need a little more effect can you get a 2bar regulator for NG?

What pressure does your NG have?
I havnt found any burner that is practical boiling 30 gallons at 29mbar

Ugg now I will have to go back 30 years and recall those faded brain cells from when I was a Seabee in the Navy to figure out if my electrical outlets can handle an electric brew.....
But seriously .... Are there off the shelf electric brew rigs for sale? I don't have the space or patients to build my own....

Thanks

Might I suggest that this probably isn't a great hobby for someone without patience. Also: it's easier to diagnose when someone goes wrong with something you've built than something someone else has built in the middle of a brew day. Just some food for thought.

I would have used NG if with foresight I would have had an outlet installed in the garage for brewing. But alas - Propane it is for me.

Guess I worded that last reply wrong when it comes to building my own... No space,tools or skills to prefab my own system. I was an extract brewer for 4 years and when I had my second house built I has three location plumbed to NG, deck basement and garage. But life got in the way and never had the chance back then to jump to all grain. Now I am ready and living in a different state and house I am looking into all options.

Electric would be the coolest as far as not having to worry about gas fumes.

Lol, ask a very specific question about nat gas vs propane, and you get folks talking you into electric.

I cant speak to efficiency differences, but I would think nat gas is the way to go. You won't have to deal with the PITA and expense of propane tanks.

Yea and someone post a cut and past page about NG vs Propane cost break down!! I was asking hoping to get experience with burner efficiency and heating up 10-20 gallons of wort and which was better.

Lugging those tanks back and forth suck with the BBQ grill and when the grill dies I will get a NG one. But since I am getting new gear to dive into all grain I was looking at all options. Another question I have is how many brew days do you get with a typical tank of propane??

I use natural gas. It's more convenient and cheaper than propane. Although, I've been giving some serious thought to going electric. If nothing else just to eliminate the need for ventilation. I brew in the basement and in the winter it works out great. In the summer, not so much.

Latest posts

Back