Repitching on Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
If you could choose two styles of ale to brew off of the same yeast cake, with the two being different enough to keep it interesting, what two beers would you choose?

If one of them, either the first or second batch, was going to be an ordinary bitter, what would you choose for the other batch? In what order would you brew them?

Kolsch and Dunkel, because thats what I am doing currently.

I would do a barleywine after your bitter.

my answer would be that it does not matter: use mrmalty.com and calc the amount of slurry you need for your next recipe. Sanitize a measuring cup, scoop out what you need, pitch it into a clean and sanitized fermenter. Pitch your next batch on top.

And if you cheat and pour it in on top of the whole old cake (not advised for over pitching, possible sanitation issues, etc) DO NOT WORRY. I have pitched a pale ale on top of the slurry of a spiced dark christmas ale and had no discernable color or flavor transfer.

But love your beer and calculate your pitch into a sanitized fermenter.

Back