Stuck quick disconnect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseRYC

Reaction score
The quick disconnect on the out port of my keg is stuck. Ive tried running hot water over it (as it has been in the fridge for about a week and a half) with no avail. Any tips or advice to get it off/ prevent this from happening in the future?

The quick disconnect on the out port of my keg is stuck. Ive tried running hot water over it (as it has been in the fridge for about a week and a half) with no avail. Any tips or advice to get it off/ prevent this from happening in the future?

Is it black or gray?

Can you unscrew the top/disassemble the disconnect and see if that helps at all? I would purge the pressure first. Is it possible that this is the wrong size QD? I had a gray gas in disconnect that was labelled as such that would only fit on beverage out posts. It said "Gas In" right on the danged thing.

The quick disconnect is black. (It's a picnic tap). I unscrewed the port of the keg itself but I cannot get the disconnect off of it. The keg has been purged of all co2 and beer, it is completely empty.

Plus, I think the out posts are the smaller of the two. So, a gray in QD would just be loose I suppose. Hmm, I'm assuming this is a ball lock. Is the little collar that loosens the ball bearings moving up and down and it just won't come off or is that the stuck part?

I got it off! Yay!:ban:
I just ran some hot water over the quick disconect still stuck to the out port and it loosened right up and I could pull it off with some pliers. Thanks again for all the help guys, it's greatly appreciated!:D

At least you have the right one on there. Keep the o-rings lubed with a food grade lube in the future. Make sure the collar is pulled all the way up and RIP it off! You may be able to pry up on it with something like a hammer claw or something similar. You didn't by chance switch the in and out post's up did you?

While it's on the keg, use screwdrivers to pry it up. Do you use keg lube on the o-rings? That would keep it from happening most likely.

The notched port is on the out-side...I think that's the one its supposed to be on. Sorry, im a newb to kegging. Anyway, I lubed the O-ring on the lid. Should I also lube up the smaller o-rings on the in and out-ports as well?

Notched is gas/in, which uses the gray disconnect.
And yes, a little lube on the orings is a good thing

Thanks for all the help guys! Ill make sure to switch the ports and lube all the rings next time. Someday Ill get the ropes of kegging down, it's SO much better than bottling!:mug:

keg-posts-1.jpg

I had the same problem. No notches in my in port, thought I had kept them the right way around, but shoved the gas quick disconnect down on the out port. I unscrewed the port from the keg; ran the port, disconnect, and hose under hot water; grabbed the port with an adjustable wrench and was finally able to pull it free.

Back