Agave Nectar for Apfelwein.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuips

Reaction score
Has anyone used agave nectar instead of dextrose for their apfelwein? Is it possible?

I was thinking about making a variation using apple juice, pomegranate juice and agave nectar.

I have not tried it but agave nectar is fermentable so yes, it is possible.

Check the ingredients on the agave nectar though, some brands seem to have additional ingredients or sweetners.

would you use about the same amount of agave nectar as corn sugar - say the recipe called for 16oz of corn sugar would you roughly use the same amount of agave - or is agave more concentrated? thanks

I've used agave prior to fermenting on a couple batches. I didnt like it very much. It seems to be less fermentable than the apple sugar and the end result tasted like alcoholic and thin tasting agave juice. Not really bad, but not what I was looking for.

After the ferment, agave can be useful as a backsweetener. It doesnt have as much body as cane and corn sugar, just a sweet burst that dies quickly. So if you have a cider that is a little sour up front with a decent fruit finish, the agave can help the initial attack of the taste without stomping on the finish like sugar or juice sometimes does.

I did a 1 gallon cider with approx. 4 oz of Agave Nectar*. After 2 months in primary I bottled and tasted it. There wasn’t much apple flavor; instead it tasted mostly like Aloe Vera which wasn’t very pleasant. I know I added some brown sugar but can’t find my notes so don’t remember how much. I do know the Agave Cider was a creeper; up to a liter all was fine, one sip after and ka-boom! I would be surprised if a longer aging would mellow the Aloe taste.

*The Agave Nectar was Madhava, a pure-organic, raw type; 100% Pure Agave Nectar from Agave Salmiana.

Back