Ghost Hunt this weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
Okay, folks, I know this sounds like the opening to some b-rated horror flick, but every bit of it is true!

Several of us from work enjoy the show Ghost Hunters on Syfy. Now, I have to qualify this. I work at a psychiatric hospital...so when we heard that the Trans Allegheny Insane Asylum, which has been closed for some years, was running ghost tours, how could we not jump on that? We made our reservations months ago.

So, tomorrow night, ten of us are truckin' up to Weston, WV, to be locked into the abandoned state hospital for the entire night. We've got cameras, digital voice recorders, K2 meters and a lotta attitude, too. If ANYBODY knows how to provoke a mental patient, it's us. We don't get to do it at work, but there's no rules about the ghosties!

I'll post back if we get any experiences. Wish us luck!

BWA HA HA HA!

That is cool. While I don't buy into any of the crap on most of these shows. Going into that place for the night would be friggin creepy, and right up my alley. Please post pic's and videos!

Very Cool!

I belong to a small group of 7 that "hunt". We do it by invite only, and also by word of mouth. It's fun, no doubt, but you need to understand that 99.99% of the time you'll come up with nothing...The other.01% of the crazy stuff makes up for it!!!!

have a blast!

Oh, I tried to post an update via Blackberry and it must've gotten lost.

It was a good trip. Two good experiences by my group, one of those to me personally, when I was touched. The back half of my body went cold and I had the hair rising on my neck, back and back of my legs just randomly when in front of a room. At the same time, one of my group said "I think there's something in there." I said it felt like I was being touched, and another came up with a K2 meter, which lit up strong in the area against my back. Cool!

Now, the bad news: There are four floors, one tour group with guide per floor. What they do is give you a tour of your floor, telling you the stories and whatnot, then they turn you loose for 1.5 hours or so to go out on your own. Then, you switch floors and begin the process anew.

Our two experiences happened on the first floor we explored, then nothing. Our tour guide said it was the deadest she'd ever experienced. (pun!) No kiddin', even the 4th floor, which is practically guaranteed to have activity was absolutely silent. Turns, out, my group was following a pissant photography group, which had no interest in the paranormal. They were just staging photos and shooting flashbulbs the whole time. Their guide was even getting pissed off at them for being disrespectful. Their guide and ours thought that the flashes and loudness of that group drove things away. They were sorry and said they'd be looking at how to handle that kind of thing in the future. They'd never had that kind of group before.

We are already planning a trip back, maybe toward the end of the winter, when it wouldn't be nearly as crowded. No doubt that some paranormal stuff is going on there. I also like that EVERY dollar the place takes in is going toward restoration of the building and preservation of the site as historical. The guides and all are volunteers. You gotta admire that.

Okay, folks, I know this sounds like the opening to some b-rated horror flick, but every bit of it is true!

Several of us from work enjoy the show Ghost Hunters on Syfy. Now, I have to qualify this. I work at a psychiatric hospital...so when we heard that the Trans Allegheny Insane Asylum, which has been closed for some years, was running ghost tours, how could we not jump on that? We made our reservations months ago.

So, tomorrow night, ten of us are truckin' up to Weston, WV, to be locked into the abandoned state hospital for the entire night. We've got cameras, digital voice recorders, K2 meters and a lotta attitude, too. If ANYBODY knows how to provoke a mental patient, it's us. We don't get to do it at work, but there's no rules about the ghosties!

I'll post back if we get any experiences. Wish us luck!

BWA HA HA HA!

Cool - have fun. If you want to experience a haunting you can go to our vacation home... we have an open air lanai that a "ghost" woman walks around every few nights with heavy footsteps. She leaves the scent of a perfume behind.

Just about every guest that stays there next to the room where the lanai is (and who has never heard anything about a ghost) will ask us if we were walking around heavily in the middle of the night (usually 2 or 3 am).

If you jump up and run out to the lanai (it's only 10 feet from the bedroom door) you will almost always smell the perfume.

Sounds fun. Though, I do have to laugh that out of how many years that show has been on the air they've yet to find any proof of any ghost activity. And the few kind of creepy things that have happened can be easily spoofed. I can't handle any more people sitting in pitch black rooms saying "did you see that???". Go sit in a pitch black room and tell me how many things your "see". The mind is an interesting thing! But, it looks like alot of fun! I mean, to continue to get money for "research" that goes nowhere and you don't have to write papers on, or apply for grants for... genius!

Cool - have fun. If you want to experience a haunting you can go to our vacation home... we have an open air lanai that a "ghost" woman walks around every few nights with heavy footsteps. She leaves the scent of a perfume behind.

Just about every guest that stays there next to the room where the lanai is (and who has never heard anything about a ghost) will ask us if we were walking around heavily in the middle of the night (usually 2 or 3 am).

If you jump up and run out to the lanai (it's only 10 feet from the bedroom door) you will almost always smell the perfume.

Maybe it's a plant smell?

Maybe it's a plant smell?

I always thought that was a possibility but it is a strong strong scent and we keep the vegetation at bay with the exception of the coconut trees... which BTW - often drop their nuts and make a loud thump - but we have never found a nut actually on the lanai.

Back