not enough alcohol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadtheartist

Reaction score
Ok here's what I did.

I boiled up 5 lbs of honey. I mixed with water. then I added the yeast. I think the honey was still too hot when I added the yeast. but it fermented a little anyway. I racked it once. however there is very little alcohol to taste. what should I do? can I add yeast all over again?

5 lb of honey in how much water? Also don't boil the honey next time, you'll loose a lot of flavors, there are other ways to sanitize that will keep more honey flavor (pasteurization, or campden tablets)

As long as the mixture was below 100 degrees (Fahrenheit) you didn't kill the yeast, but depending on how much water you had it could have been too high of a sugar concentration to ferment very far.

Slow down and read Hightest's documents in the FAQ section. You should never rack until the primary is finished. You need to take some SG readings and post them.

5 pounds in a gallon won't ferment. 5 pounds in 5 gallons is likely to be done.

Details.

Back