Wyeast 1968 - Does it need agitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskimo Spy

Reaction score
Does this yeast need to be agitated about every other day, almost guaranteed? Or should I take a wait and see attitude? If the latter, what am I looking for that would indicate the need for an agitation? Thanks for any help!

You mean like swirrelled to make sure it's active? I've never heard of that. It does look sensitive, with a low attenuation, but WYeast says:

Diacetyl production is noticeable and a thorough rest is necessary. Yeast traps trub easily and autolysis during storage is accelaerated. A very good cask conditioned ale strain due to rapid and complete flocculation. Brilliantly bright beers are easily achieved without any filtration.

Looks like an interesting cookie to say the least. But I don't know about the agitation.

I used to use Wyeast #1768 "Special Bitter" for my ESB, but they apparently don't make it anymore, so I tried the #1968 on my last batch. This may be coincidence, but my batch stopped a few points short of the target FG and needless to say had a residual sweetness that threw the recipe out of whack.

As far as agitation, I'd refrain from doing it and especially every other day. I'd ferment a little warmer instead and start with a big starter.

:mug:

It's bubbling away this morning, about 12 hours after pitch. I'm going to ferment this at about 72-74º, and let it go. I started at about 1.043, right on target, I'm hoping to get to 1.010, for a 4.2% ABV. We'll see, thanks!

I use it for many of my English style beers. It is as advertized, low attenuation (67-71%)and a flocculating demon - looks like cottage cheese. I'd be suprised if you get your FG down to 1.010.

GT

I have used this yeast quite a bit, and if you want it to ferment out completely, some agitation will help a bit. Fermenting on the warm side early in fermentation is a bad idea, because it does create some significant esters (and fusels, if really hot -- found that out the hard way). Keeping it warm later in fermentation should be fine.

I like this yeast for English beers that I intend to keg because it is amazingly flocculant. That's a downside, too, because it leads to lower attenuation -- not so bad if you are aware of it. Overall, I love this yeast for English beers, and it has replaced 1028 London Ale as my yeast of choice for this style of beer.

:mug:

It's been at about 70º for the first 24 hours, and bubbling happily. I'll wait and see how it's going tomorrow, and maybe give it a swirl if needed. I'm excited to see how this beer turns out, it's impossible to find a best bitter in the D/FW area of Texas without a 2 hour drive...

I would definitely agitate this strain. It flocculates like crazy and will definitely fall out before it's done eating everything. I would wait until initial fermentation starts to slow down, probably day 3 or so, then gently rock the carboy twice a day for another 4 days. That's what I do with 1099 which behaves similarly.

I just pitched this strain in my esb yesterday afternoon. This morning, there was still no noticeable signs of fermentation. Granted that at 65 degrees, I'm on the coolish end of the range of temperatures wyeast said this yeast can ferment at. Should I be worried or is this strain a slow starter?

Ok, I was just freaking out like a newbie. The fermentation is nice and steady now. I have just never encountered a lag time of 48 hours and I've brewed for 3 years now. We'll see how this yeast performs once its done.

Alright, I have some new results. It's been 6 days sinced I pitched the yeast, and it's be steadily fermenting ever since. I haven't had to rock the fermentor at all. Today, activity has slowed down considerably but it's probably due primary fermentation wrapping up as opposed to the yeast prematurely flocculating and dropping out. So in conclusion, this yeast doesn't need to be shaken. It can do the job on its own.

Latest posts

Back