Burner maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polyphaeon

Reaction score
Standard turkey deep fryer burner was burning yellow and producing soot. I:
1) pulled it apart
2) brushed it with steel wool
3) coated it with motor oil
4) let it soak for ~1 hour
5) wiped off extra oil
6) reassembled and proudly observed epic blue flames.
Thought I would post as I was not able to find this solution online. It had gotten pretty rusty. I will oil it now as standard maintenance.

I know a common problem with these burners is a clogged inlet valve and that will cause yellow flame. Spiders like to build nests in that pipe...

Unless the rust was caused by leaving the burner in standing water, surface rust is typically not a problem.

Foreign debris in the orifice, hose leaks or regulator malfunction are the typical issues with a burner.

I though you guys were kidding about the spiders until last weekend. One of my burners was putting out an anemic yellow mini-flame. I unscrewed the gas hose in preparation to take the burner off my rig and noticed spider webs coming out with the threads.

Blow me if a quick flush with compressed air didn't clean out the little bugger!

Now...nice blue flames.

I've noticed my flame getting more & more yellow - looks like a cleaning is in order!

Cleaning alone did not help but yes that can definitely be a problem.

Pretty wet here - my covered patio apparently doesn't help when the rain comes in sideways. The rust got a little out of hand.

I thought about using some cooking oil - like what I do for my cast iron cook ware - but thought motor oil is probably fine. It helped with the clean up and it should provide protection from future rust.

Back