Uinta - SUM'R Organic Summer Ale. Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for this beer? I have searched high and low and most info I can find is that it is a blonde ale and uses Sorachi Hops. Love this beer because of the flavor from the Sorachi hops. Very different, mild, vanilla/lemon hop flavor and want to brew something similar for early spring.
Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Just wanted to bump this again. Any advice? Tried contacting Uinta but no response. The beer is a golden ale with Sorachi Hops. The finish is a lemon/vanilla flavor. Is the vanilla purely from the hop or vanillia bean? And any advice on a hop schedule with Sorachi? Can I treat it like a regular hop and use it as the sole hop in the brew? Or use something like Hallertau early and then Sorachi at the end of the boil and dry hop?
Thanks for any help.

Drinking one of these now. I can't imagine this is much more than 100% pilsner malt with light hopping with Sorachi Ace at the end. Having used Sorachi Ace before, Unita seemingly found the sweet spot to get just the lemony flavor and aroma without pushing out the dill characteristics.

Also curious as to the recipe that you came up with.

Edit: In looking at the Can You Brew it Recipe for Wyld, I am probably incorrect regarding pilsner. It is likely the same base malt used for the Wyld (both in their Organic series). Given the color, I can't image that there is much for specialty malts in this beer.

Tastes like American 2 Row as the base malt. It's not Marris or Munich.

I'm also guessing a clean yeast like Wyeast 1056.

I'd be interested in the recipe too. My wife likes the Lemon but not the lemon-peppercorn of Sorachi. So I might make it and sub Moteuka for it.

Btw, has anyone figured out what is wild about "Wyld"?

You are probably right, just 2 row. No dms so the boil is probably extended. I recently talked to some Uintah workers and they told me they changed the hops to opal this year. Said it tasted better.

The website still lists Sorachi. I've never used Opal, but it sounds similar in flavor.

Also, the website lists SRM = 3 and IBU = 17. A SRM = 3 doesn't leave much room for anything other than base malt.

And, of course, the ABV = 4.0% so a rough estimate of OG = 1.041 & FG = 1.010.

So guess cloning it, I'd start with a SMaSH of 2 Row & Sorachi. For 5 gallons, something like:

8lb 2 row
0.2oz Sorachi (assumed 11%AA) at 60 min
0.2oz Sorachi at 30 min
0.2oz Sorachi at 10 min
0.4oz Sorachi at flameout
Wyeast 1056

Mash it at 152F or lower to keep it from getting too malty. For 75% efficency, it results in ABV = 4.2%, IBU = 18, and SRM = 3.

For Opal hops, since they are lower AA (assumed 7%), I'd try 0.25oz additions at 60 min, 40 min, 20 min, and flameout. That results in IBU = 16.

Agreed, that seems about right. Uinta's organic two row I believe is Great Western Pale Ale malt. The only thing that they might add is some carapils. If you look at the recipe for Wyld (or listen to the Podcast for Can You Brew It), Uinta uses a lot of carapils in that beer (12% I believe, on top of ~7% of C-10/15). I wouldn't be surprised if there is around 10% Carapils in Sum'r as well.

Interesting about the Opal hops. Perhaps that is why I liked the beer more this year. Not a huge fan of Sorachi Ace.

The Carapils is probably there for heading as much as anything else. 10% Carapils works out to dropping the 2-row to 7.25lbs and adding 13oz of Carapils.

I also thought that there is some slight room for adding C-10 or C-20 in my rough guess and maintain the SRM = 3. Maybe 4oz of C-20. It adds some flavor and takes the theoretical SRM from 2.7 to 3.5.

Edit: I'm still working on my modification of this beer with moteuka hops and fitting it into BJCP guidelines for an Amber. I'll post it when I buy the ingredients.

I listened to the Can You Brew It podcast for WYLD. It sounded like their session beers they typically brew Original Plato = 12 to Final Plato = 3. So that's OG = 1.048 to FG 1.012 and use a hybrid yeast to achieve dry attenuation even though they mashed it at 155F. If you don't have the temp control for hybrid yeast, I still think mashing low and using 1056 is an adequate alternative.

Also, i learned the 4.0% beers sold in Utah are 4.8% beers out of State. I'll post a 2nd draft at the recipe in the morning.

Edit: I'm still working on my modification of this beer with moteuka hops and fitting it into BJCP guidelines for an Amber. I'll post it when I buy the ingredients.

Have you used Moteuka before on its own? I made an american-style wheat with Moteuka as the only hop and it has been somewhat underwhelming (though still fairly young). I find those NZ hops to really change over time (usually for the better).

Interesting idea with the amber. My next batch is actually going to be adding rye to the CYBI Wyld recipe to make a session rye.

I've not used Moteuka on its own. I used it 2oz as bittering with 1oz of Williamette as aroma and another ounce of Williamette as dry in my imperial hefe. It was fabulous.

Right now i have 2oz of Moteuka in my draft 5% ABV amber. 0.5oz at 60 min, 0.5oz at 40 min. Then the rest broken in thirds at 20 min, 5 min, and flameout. I've thought about doubling the 20, 5, & flameout additions for more aromatics.

I also have an ounce of Striesselspalt that I need to use up. I could throw it in at the end instead of extra Moteuka.

Ok, here's my second draft recipe based upon the info in the Can You Brew It podcast on WYLD:

Reasons for the changes - Uinta brews a lot of their sessionable beers at 4.8%. I've adjusted the grain bill to that. They also use a significant amount of Carapils and a high mash temp to increase the body of the beer. Then they use a high attenuating yeast to dry the beer out. I also think the color of the beer is darker than the 2.7 SRM of a straight 2-row beer. I've bumped it up to 3.2 SRM.

8lbs American 2 row (89.5%)
12oz Carapils (8.4%)
3oz Crystal 10L (2.1%)

Mash it at 155F.

For Sorachi hops:
0.2oz Sorachi (assumed 11%AA) at 60 min
0.2oz Sorachi at 30 min
0.2oz Sorachi at 10 min
0.4oz Sorachi at flameout

For Opal Hops:
0.25oz Opal (7%AA assumed) at 60 minutes
0.25oz Opal at 40 min
0.25oz Opal at 20min
0.25oz Opal at flameout

White Labs 001 or White Labs 029.

I bought the ingredients and I'll be brewing this one in the driveway in a couple hours. I decided that I wanted the fruitiness that comes with London III and Strisselspalt to complement the lemon-lime of the Moteuka.

I'm calling it Sommergarten Amber. It meets 10.B American Amber and barely makes 10.A American PA. It could use another 15 IBUs for a 10.A.

Grain Bill
7lb Belgain 2 row
1.5oz Crystal 60L
12oz torrified wheat
6oz biscuit malt

Hops
0.5oz Motueka, 7.4% AA, 60 minutesf
0.5oz Motueka, 7.4% AA, 40 minutes
0.35oz Motueka, 7.4% AA, 20minutes
0.35oz Motueka, 7.4% AA, 5 minutes
0.3oz Motueka, 7.4% AA, flameout
1oz Strisselspalt, 2.3% AA, 60 flameout

Mash 150F
Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III

OG = 1.052
FG = 1.014
ABV = 5.0%
IBU = 30
SRM 12.5

EDIT: I had a terrible brew day.

1. Hit the 122F protein rest.
2. Missed the 150F rest. Over shot it to 160F.
3. Ran to the freezer and quickly added some ice. In my panic, overshot the cooling to 135F.
4. Used the rest of the mash water to get it back to 150F.
5. Pulled a decoction to raise it to 168F to mash out.
6. Decided to extend the boil to 90 minutes because of the ice addition.
7. Hops went as scheduled.
8. Because I boiled too long, I only collected 4.25 gallons of wort. OG = 1.059. So, it's likely to end up around 5.6%.

The good news is it looks and tastes great. Very nice caramel color to it.

I just pulled a sample of my Moteuka Sommergarten version. I was hoping it would be ready to bottle this weekend, but it's only 3/4 done.

I'm going to go ahead and declare that I'm pretty damn close.

image.jpg

Back