Better bottle defect

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizgig

Reaction score
When I was cleaning my better bottle today after bottling a batch, I noticed a defect in it where it had a wrinkle/crease in it. I'm not sure if it came that way or if it bowed out because of the liquid in it, or what happened. This is the first time I used it, it's a 5 gallon secondary, it was never bumped/dropped or under any temperatures other than normal household temperatures. I had a better bottle dry trap as an airlock, it never looked out of shape/round or anything like that.

Is it safe to use or subject to breaking/giving out at any time? Should I return it (or is that even an option?)

Here's the best picture I could get, it's blatantly obvious to look at it in person but amazingly hard to take a picture of it.

betterbottle.jpg

I don't follow, I took the pics as I was washing it out so there's some condensation, here's a better shot now that it's dry

betterbottle2.jpg

If it is a genuine Better Bottle, contact the seller for a return. That should not happen in a BB. I've dropped one of mine...and absolutely NOTHING happened, other than the beer inside got jolted a bit!

glenn514:mug:

it's a better bottle, not sure why there's any doubt, here it is before I filled it:

734465_10151545751014913_140544482_n.jpg

fizgig said:
it's a better bottle, not sure why there's any doubt, here it is before I filled it:

I wasn't doubting anything. I just asked a question. The first pic looked clear like a vintage shop fermenter. They are thin and known to pinch under load.

I'd never heard of that brand, it's a better bottle with racking adapter and simple flow valve. I've contacted better bottle, I'll see what they say.

This is the response I got from better bottle, it's never been heated other than warm tap water:

The little wrinkle looks as though it might have been caused by the plastic at that point being briefly overheated. The wrinkle should not affect your brewing.
If you have not already done so, please refer to the Wash/Sanitize section, under the Technical tab, at our Web site. The article, Washing and Sanitizing Home Winemaking and Brewing Equipment will be a big help to you.

It's hard to see the defect well but if it leads to nooks and crannies that's bad news. Beer nasties could be sheltered from cleaners and sanitizers. I'd exchange the bottle or discard.

Back