Atlanta - purchasing 50lb grain sacks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey57

Reaction score
Question: How does one economically purchase a 50lb bag of base malt grains in Atlanta?

I'm not super picky about what type / brand. I've been using rahr or breiss 2-row and purchasing from Northern Brewer or Adventures in Homebrewing online: they have great pricing but after $20 of shipping it seems like there has to be a better way. Does anyone know of a store that stocks bulk grain? It would have to be less than $1 / lb to avoid the convenience of the internet...

Go to Brewmaster's Warehouse in Marietta and buy a bag and skip the shipping costs. It's one of the best brew shops in the country. They might not sell bags on their site, but they will sell you a bag at their retail store. Should be around $40-42 for a 50lb sack of name brand two-row:

2145 Roswell Rd #320
Marietta, GA 30062
(770) 973-0072

Shipping is very cost prohibitive on bulk grain unless you are buying a crate. You really have to source it locally for it to make sense.

Update:

Just in case anyone in Atlanta finds this thread: I stopped by brewmaster warehouse in Marietta Today 2/12/2013. A 50 lb bag of Breiss 2-row is $55 + tax. They have imports also, didn't really look at them too much, I asked if the Breiss was the cheapest they had: it is. So about the same as mail ordering it. uhhhh, so disappointed. Store clerk was extremely nice and helpful. Shop layout is kinda confusing for 1st time customer.

Yeah, that's pretty pricey. I get my bags of Two-Row (Rahrs) from my local homebrew shop for $37.80+ tax after a 10% brewclub discount off their normal $42.00 price.

Briess Two-Row is about $70-75 shipped (around $40-45 PLUS $25-30 shipping) everywhere I can find, though, so you are still saving over shipped, and saving about $0.70/lbs over small batch prices.

For future reference, $57.00 shipped for Schreier 2-Row Pale 50 lbs from www.maltbuythebag.com. Never head of Schreier, but I've used several types of two-row, and never noticed a difference in quality between the brands. I'd be much more concerned about name brand in specialty malts and european base malts.

I just got 50 lbs of Rahr as well for $38. I've gotten that price once from Austin Brew Supply with $6.99 shipping but that's not something they do often at all.
Also, if there is a local brew club, see if you can get in with a group buying plan. Some clubs throughout the country get huge discounts when buying in volume.

Back