cedar grilled pear mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobCalamari

Reaction score
Plan:

water
7.5# honey
lemon and orange juiced
in a 3 gallon carboy
pectic enzyme
yeast nutrient
campden
D-47 or cotes des blancs for yeast?

ferment this normally, then rack before the primary finishes adding some quantity of thinly sliced pears laid out on a blank of cedar and grilled. then rack again and bulk age.

thoughts? would this taste good or am i crazy?

If this is strait lemon and orange juice with no water added; I assume half and half, you may want to look into raising the PH a bit to give your yeast a fighting chance. Or do a large starter 12 hours before putting your must together.

Otherwise sounds great.

Sorry i just meant a lemon and orange or two added to the honey and water mixture. im excited to see how this turns out. i love pears, always have been my favorite fruit

Either would work. I would probably use D47, but only if the temp could be kept around 60 degrees.

I think the flavours sound good...maybe in order to adjust the smokey flavours upwards (if desired) you could toast cubes of the ceder and add to secondary?

yea i was considering the possible benefits of adding cedar to the secondary. Seems like i could add a few cubes and some raw pears and accomplish something similar. ill probably go ahead with my plan and if i find myself yearning for more cedar i can always add some in the tertiary. off to the store to buy some orange blossom!

Back