Contaminated Yeast ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm going to brew a small Batch ( 1 Gallon ) by using DME and dry yeast .

I calculated the amount of dry yeast needed for this Batch and it is 2 grams .

I have 11.5 gram dry yeast sachets .

If I open one Sachet and take out 2 grams of the yeast , would it lead to

contamination of the rest of the yeast in the Sachet ?!

p.s. I will put NOTHING into the Sachet and let the yeasties fall out of the Sachet into a Beaker

which contains Water for rehydration .

Hector

It's not a wise idea to leave it open. They recommend you sanitize the outside of the packet before you open it and pitch it into the wort. I would recommend just pitching it all. It's more then needed, but you are not going to hurt anything.

It's not a wise idea to leave it open. They recommend you sanitize the outside of the packet before you open it and pitch it into the wort. I would recommend just pitching it all. It's more then needed, but you are not going to hurt anything.

1- I thought that sanitizing the outside of the Packets is always done only with liquid yeast Packets .

2- After measuring 2 grams of the yeast , I would keep it closed in the Refrigerator .

3- I would NOT use 11.5 grams of yeast for just 1 Gallon of Beer , because dry yeast is very expensive to me and

it's NOT easy to buy such things in my Country .

Hector

Let me ask my question this way :

What is the best way to use dry yeast , if you are NOT going to use the whole Sachet once ?

Hector

I would not use the whole packet. It is very possible to over pitch and does happen if you are havesting your yeast from previouse batches. As far as the 1 gal. test batch goes, I would not sweat contamination unless you plan on keeping the beer a year plus. As for the remainder of the yeast I have used partial packs of dry yeast in the past with no trouble. Use good clean handling techniques seal up the remainder and plan on using it in the near future. I would make a starter for the remainder when I used it and let it work about 48 hours before pitching.

Hi there !

What is the best way to use dry Yeast , if you are NOT going to use the whole Sachet once ?

Hector

Some thing as if you used the whole sachet - rehydrate in warm water and pitch, and throw the rest of the sachet away or use it for baking.

Some thing as if you used the whole sachet - rehydrate in warm water and pitch, and throw the rest of the sachet away or use it for baking.

:eek:

Throwing it away !!!

That's exactly my Problem .

I'd like to use the whole Sachet , BUT NOT for only one small Batch .

According to my Equipments , I can brew 1-Gallon Batches at Home .

Therefore , I would use one dry Yeast Sachet for 5 Batches .

That was the main reason for asking my question .

Hector

:eek:

Throwing it away !!!

That's exactly my Problem .

I'd like to use the whole Sachet , BUT NOT for only one small Batch .

According to my Equipments , I can brew 1-Gallon Batches at Home .

Therefore , I would use one dry Yeast Sachet for 5 Batches .

That was the main reason for asking my question .

Hector

Once you open it, it's only good for a very short time. If it's a small package (6 grams) it's fine for a one gallon batch. If you've got an 11 gram package, you could brew three one gallon batches at one time, and split it up three ways.

You really can't save opened dry yeast more than a week, maybe two.

11.5 grams of dry Yeast for ONLY 1 Gallon of Beer !!!

Have you ever heard of "OVER PITCHING" ?!

Hector

Well, yes of course. But if you open it, you can either use 1/3 of it, and throw the rest away, or use it all. You won't hurt the beer if you use it all, but it sure wouldn't be necessary.

If you use it in a regular batch, you can harvest the yeast and save it in baby food jars and THEN pitch the amount you need as liquid yeast. That's the point someone was making.

You can vacuum-seal the yeast and get multiple uses out of a sachet that way, but be aware that your risk of infection will increase each time to open that seal.

One thing you will probably want to look into is yeast harvesting and washing if yeast is expensive where you are located - there's an excellent thread on that topic on these forums on how to do that.

Perhaps all of you are RIGHT , BUT my Problem is that I've made three Batches and all of them were contaminated !!!

Although , I did cleaning and sanitizing very carefully .

I used dry Yeast from the same Sachet for those Batches .

Now I'd like to know if the Bacteria came from the Yeast and because of that I changed every step in my brewing .

For example , I racked the Wort from the kettle to the Carboy , I boiled the bottled spring Water which is used for Re-hydration and so on .

This Batch is in the Primary since 7 days ago and it seems to be contaminated , too .

Hector

As for the remainder of the yeast I have used partial packs of dry yeast in the past with no trouble. Use good clean handling techniques seal up the remainder and plan on using it in the near future.

My Problem is that I've made three Batches and all of them were contaminated !!!

Now I'd like to know if the Bacteria came from the Yeast and because of that I changed every step in my brewing .

For example , I racked the Wort from the kettle to the Carboy , I boiled the bottled spring Water which is used for Re-hydration and so on .

This Batch is in the Primary since 7 days ago and it seems to be contaminated , too .

Hector

What yeast are you using, and how do you sanitize?

The Yeast which I use is " Safale S-04 Ale Dry Yeast " .

To sanitize I use " Iodophor " .

I buy " Povidone Iodine 10% " from Drug Store and each time for sanitizing I dilute it

in RO-Water ( 1.25 ml per liter of Water ) .

Hector

I just checked the Fermentis (dry yeast) web site. They talk about using partial packs of the yeast. Their only advise is to use the remaining yeast within seven days.
I would say that if this is your forth batch of contaminated brew and you can see the contamination in the primary you have a bigger problem than a couple grams of dry yeat causing the problem. What makes you think that the beer is contaminated, especially the current batch? If you have been in primary already 7 days, do you use a secondary? Do you take a SG reading at the end of primary?

Over pitching? Are serious? Why do people make starters then? I suppose it is to merely overptich! I guess I am not sure what the issue is. Give us more to go on. The post was about yeast. Yeast are nasty little predators and will outcompete most other organisms in the right amount. I guess before you slam people for their assistance provide proper information.

How do you know it was contaminated? what is you evidence? Was it taste? Was it odor?

I have made a lot of beer and have not had a contaminated batch. I have had a contaminated wine before and it was terrible.

Perhaps all of you are RIGHT , BUT my Problem is that I've made three Batches and all of them were contaminated !!!

Hector

Ah. Maybe you tried to save a package of yeast, instead of using it all at once? Or you underpitched by trying to save yeast? Contaminiation is rather uncommon, but if you opened up a sachet of yeast and tried to save it, that could do it.

How did you determine that they were contaminated?

Low Attenuation ( 50% ) ,

Bad Smell after being for 14 days in the Primary ,

Sour Taste ,

Not getting clear , although the Sedimentation of the Yeast which was used is "High" .

Hector

Over pitching? Are serious? Why do people make starters then? I suppose it is to merely overptich!

People make starters to pitch the correct amount of yeast. Overpitching can be as bad as underpitching for some beer styles.

Ive been using a third dry yeast,rolling it up vaccume sealing it to the fridge and brewing weekly not a problem in 5 months.2 grams is enough for one gallon according to Mr.Malty pitching rate calculator for gravity below 1.06.

Ive been using a third dry yeast,rolling it up vaccume sealing it to the fridge and brewing weekly not a problem in 5 months.2 grams is enough for one gallon according to Mr.Malty pitching rate calculator.

I used 2 grams of dry Yeast , also according to "Mr.Malty Pitching Rate Calculator" .

Hector

The Yeast which I use is " Safale S-04 Ale Dry Yeast " .

To sanitize I use " Iodophor " .

I buy " Povidone Iodine 10% " from Drug Store and each time for sanitizing I dilute it

in RO-Water ( 1.25 ml per liter of Water ) .

Hector

Repeated infections indicate a systemic problem. Replace all your soft plastic, and nuke your glass/hard plastic/metals with some PBW/Oxiclean free followed by an acid sanitizer like StarSan or Saniclean.

50% attenuation suggests that infections aren't the only problem you are experiencing. It suggests that you are missing your mash temperatures and/or are mishandling your yeast and/or temperatures. Evaluate those steps of your brewing process before proceeding with new batches.

Yooper said:
Once you open it, it's only good for a very short time. If it's a small package (6 grams) it's fine for a one gallon batch. If you've got an 11 gram package, you could brew three one gallon batches at one time, and split it up three ways.

You really can't save opened dry yeast more than a week, maybe two.

I did not know this. I have been brewing 2.5g batches for a year and often use 1/2 pack of US-05 and fold and staple it closed and toss it into the fridge. I don't know what the longest I have gone before I used the other half, maybe a month, and I have never had a fermentation problem or an infection. Have I just been lucky?

I just checked the Fermentis (dry yeast) web site. They talk about using partial packs of the yeast. Their only advise is to use the remaining yeast within seven days.
I would say that if this is your forth batch of contaminated brew and you can see the contamination in the primary you have a bigger problem than a couple grams of dry yeat causing the problem. What makes you think that the beer is contaminated, especially the current batch? If you have been in primary already 7 days, do you use a secondary? Do you take a SG reading at the end of primary?

So , how should I find the Cause of this Problem ?!

I use always Primary for 14 Days and then I would bottle the Beer .

I think this Batch is contaminated , because it has behaved the same as the previous batches ( after 2-3 Days of vigorous fermentation , the Beer remains cloudy until the end of the Primary Phase and there are always tiny bobbles coming to the surface from the bottom of the Carboy ) .

Hector

I did not know this. I have been brewing 2.5g batches for a year and often use 1/2 pack of US-05 and fold and staple it closed and toss it into the fridge. I don't know what the longest I have gone before I used the other half, maybe a month, and I have never had a fermentation problem or an infection. Have I just been lucky?

YES , YOU ARE SOOOO L U C K Y !!! Believe me !

I did each time exactly as you did with the Sachet .

Now I'm totally confused and of course ANGRY !

Hector

Repeated infections indicate a systemic problem. Replace all your soft plastic, and nuke your glass/hard plastic/metals with some PBW/Oxiclean free followed by an acid sanitizer like StarSan or Saniclean.

50% attenuation suggests that infections aren't the only problem you are experiencing. It suggests that you are missing your mash temperatures and/or are mishandling your yeast and/or temperatures. Evaluate those steps of your brewing process before proceeding with new batches.

I have already replaced all of my Equipments before starting the current Batch .

"Starsan" and "Saniclean" are not available here to buy .

Sanitizers available to me are :

1- Bleach

2- Iodophor

3- K-Meta

4- Benzalkonium Chloride 10%

Just as Info :

I think my current Batch is contaminated , because it has behaved the same as the previous batches ( after 2-3 Days of vigorous fermentation , the Beer remains cloudy until the end of the Primary Phase and there are always tiny bobbles coming to the surface from the bottom of the Carboy ) .

Primary Phase = 14 Days

I am an Extract Brewer .

Hector

I have already replaced all of my Equipments before starting the current Batch .

"Starsan" and "Saniclean" are not available here to buy .

Sanitizers available to me are :

1- Bleach

2- Iodophor

3- K-Meta

4- Benzalkonium Chloride 10%

Just as Info :

I think my current Batch is contaminated , because it has behaved the same as the previous batches ( after 2-3 Days of vigorous fermentation , the Beer remains cloudy until the end of the Primary Phase and there are always tiny bobbles coming to the surface from the bottom of the Carboy ) .

Primary Phase = 14 Days

I am an Extract Brewer .

Hector

So how does the beer taste? Some yeast takes a long time to settle out and will remain cloudy for weeks or longer. If you're disturbing the wort it will take even longer for the yeast to settle. The yeast produces CO2 which is probably what those bubbles are. There will be some CO2 dissolved into your wort, so it might produce a few bubbles like a slightly carb'd beverage.

I think you're seeing boogey men where there are none.

Im confused how this turned into a infection thread but did you toss your other beers out or something? Your not going to have a clear beer after 3 days fermentation.My guess is you dont have an infection?The tiny bubbles are just co2? If your tasting your beers too early they could just be having a green taste.

How long did you give these undrinkable beers to ferment and bottle? Picking apart your process will help.

BUT It was exactly so by previous Batches and they were UNDRINKABLE !

Hector

What made them undrinkable? How long did you give them to carb? Did you chill them for a week before trying them? Did you use a well established recipe? Did you use water with chlorine in it? Did you ferment too hot?

There is more that can cause bad flavors than contamination. I've been brewing for 9 months and made about 25 batches and haven't had an infected batch yet. I take sanitation seriously, but I'm not obsessive about it. most of my "bad" beer has been a result of allowing it to ferment too hot.

+1 . pitching too high,usuall above 70 and racking/botteling too early.Sounds like they just needed time. Hector-if you are like everyone else that started,you may be freaking out,we all freaked out on something or worried but usually it turnes out ok.Not enough info, but this is just my observation.

Im confused how this turned into a infection thread but did you toss your other beers out or something? Your not going to have a clear beer after 3 days fermentation.My guess is you dont have an infection?The tiny bubbles are just co2? If your tasting your beers too early they could just be having a green taste.

I started this Thread because I wanted to find out if the Bacteria comes from the Yeast .

I said , the Beer was cloudy even after the 14th Day and everybody knows that "Safale S-04" has a high Sedimentation .

I have drunk good Beers in my Life and I know how a Beer tastes , But I think my previous Batches were contaminated

because of sour taste ( Vinegar Like ) and bad smell ( 0.0% similarity to any kind of Beer ) .

Hector

Back