Hercules double IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dang

Reaction score
Since this beer is practically unavailable where I live now...I figured I'd give an attempt to recreate it.

For reference a description of the beer on the bottle:
Hoppier, maltier and with more alcohol than a standard IPA, Hercules Double IPA definitely is not for the faint of heart. Hercules Double IPA is, however, an elixir fit for the gods. A brash but creamy wonder, Hercules pours a deep orange-coppery color, forming substantial lace in the glass. Hercules Double IPA delivers a huge amount of piney, floral, and citrusy hop aroma and flavor from start to finish. A hefty backbone of nutty, toffee-like malt character balances Hercules? aggressive, punchy hop profile.

recipe so far...
OG 1.092
FG 1.021
IBU 84
SRM 7
ABV 9.2

Boil volume: 4 gallons
Batch size: ~2.5 gallons

6 lbs american two-row pale
1.5 lbs vienna
1 lbs rice
.4 lbs carapils
.3 lbs american crystal 10L

.25 oz Warrior @ 60 min (FWH)
.25 oz Simcoe @ 20 min
.50 oz Amarillo @ 20 min
.25 oz Centennial @10 min
.25 oz Chinook @10 min
.50 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
.25 oz Cascade @ 5 min
.25 oz Simcoe @ 5 min

1 oz Chinook (DH in secondary 14+ days)
1 oz Amarillo (DH in secondary 14+ days)
.5 oz Cascade (DH in secondary 14+ days)

I will be using a BIAB method for this due to lack of sufficient funds...will probably mash at 152

approximately 2 to 3 weeks in the primary...maybe longer

I'm planning on using american ale 1056 yeast (I have not had good luck in the past with using dry yeast in high gravity beers, but do hope the case is different here).

Has anyone else ever tried to recreate this beer? If so, any suggestions?
Also any suggestions on how to achieve a lower FG with this?

and I know most double IPAs do not use vienna, but I am trying to simulate the toffee-like malt character of this brew.

rice is substituted for half a pound of cane sugar and the two row is increased to 6.5

Dry hop schedule is changed to following
1 oz Simcoe
1 oz Amarillo
.5 oz Cascade

yeast 1056 is changed to 1272

No comments at all? Im looking to brew this in a few days and would like to hear any opinions...

I love that beer as well, but I'm not proficient enough with building recipes to to comment.

Have you tried contacting Great Divide? You may be surprised, lots of brewers are happy to give out recipes.

Eric

I have...and unlike others I have had the opportunity to talk with great divide refused to indulge any information.

Well it wouldn't take much to be better than I...this is only my fourth brew and I'm just simply going off of the description of the beer and description of malt/hop flavors as best I can.

Been a while since I last had that beer, but I remember it having some pretty intense toffee/caramel flavor for an IIPA. I would guess you need some dark crystal in there, maybe Crystal 80 at around 10% of the grain bill? That crystal 10 you have in there is pretty subtle for a beer like this and is usually reserved for lighter, more delicate beers.

I think you made a good call changing the yeast to 1272, because this thing does not need to be as dry as Cali Ale 1056 will finish. Other than that I can't offer much advice.

Can you get Avery Hog Heaven? It is 91% 2-row and 9% crystal 75. You can compare the malt profile on those beers to get you started.

Hmm, that sounds like a great experiment! I might have to do it myself.

Eric

Hmm that's a good idea... I'll check today if I get the chance.

Well I already placed an order for the 10L, but I'll check with the local store and see if they have some 80l crystal. If they do, I'll get that and make a blend of the 10 and 80 so I don't get something quite so dark.

Latest posts

Back