A question on Tannins

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7mmSTW

Reaction score
Yesterday I tried my hand at my first AG batch using a stovetop BIAB method. I used an Austin Homebrewer Newcastle clone kit. Everything seemed to go pretty smooth except for the following: While heating some extra water in a seperate pot (water that wouldn't fit in the brew kettle so I figured to use it as sparge water by tea bagging and pouring it over the bag of grains...) I was moving my thermometer back and forth between the brew kettle and the sparge water. Within a 2 minute period the temp on my kettle jumped from 150 to 170+. This was about 40 mins into the sparge, I killed all heat and pulled the top off to stir the mix and allow heat to escape (looking back I chould have pulled the bag out...:eek:) I continued on letting the grain sit in the 160+ water until it was done and "cleaned" the grains with the sparge water as best I could, the water coming out of the grain was pretty clear by the time I was done. Second mistake I made was the amount of water used, I didn't make up for the amount the grains would soak up, rookie mistake number x, I ended up with 4 gallons of wort. The gravity reading of this when corrected for temperature was 1.0589, the recipe called for 1.050. I topped to 5.25 gallons and aerated, pitched, and threw it in the basement. I realize I should have taken a gravity reading after topping and guess it probably came out close to the correct starting gravity. This morning I already have Krausen and its fermenting away nicely @ 64 degrees. The reading I did take tasted nice and sweet just like wort should. Final Question: If I did extract tannins with the spike should I be able to taste it in the unfermented wort? Thanks in advance, at least I learned some lessons.

This was about 40 mins into the sparge

Don't you mean 40 mins into the mash? It's my understanding that there is no sparge with biab.

I don't think it should make any difference. With a decoction mash you would boil the grains! Granted a decoction boil is much thicker but I still think you won't have a problem with tannins.

Report back when the beer is finished to let us know how it is :mug:

DWith a decoction mash you would boil the grains! Granted a decoction boil is much thicker but I still think you won't have a problem with tannins.

Same with back sqeezing in biab -vs- not squeezing in extract with grains, there's a lot of "not sure" as to what causes tannins other than the main one. PH....I'm beginning to believe that it doesn't matter if we squeeze or boil our grains, as much as what the PH is.

I'll share with you the answer that 2 of us gave to someone who posted the exact same question a couple weeks ago.

As long as your pH was in the proper range, you won't have extracted any tannins. What you did was sort of the equivalent of doing a decoction. Heck I made a beer where I boiled ALL of my grains (9 lbs worth) and then drained to a fermenter. No tannins in the final product.

Revvy said:
I was just going to bring up the decoction analogy as well. I just did that in my Barleywine, boiled up several gallons of my grains and wort and added it back to my mash after boiling for 15-20 minutes. As we neared the end of the 60 minute mash I pulled out a couple gallons of mash and brought it to a boil for about 10 minutes as a decoction which we then used as a mashout. The stuff was like porridge. (It was so think that it was difficult to clean the pitched I had used to get it out of the tun hours later, it was like a thick sugar glaze.)

59448_434057434066_620469066_5122018_4799406_n.jpg

I just tasted my Barleywine, there were no tannins to be found.

My understanding is that there are 3 factors at play. lower Gravity, higher temp & higher pH all contribute to tannin extraction. But you really need 2 of the 3 factors before you have an issue. Like in the decoction the temp is high but the gravity is still high and the pH is still very low. So it's no problem. BUT in the final runnings of a fly sparge the gravity is low and the temp is high and the pH may be creeping up so you better watch out.

I did mean mash instead of sparge...I'm gonna consider this stuff good untill proven otherwise. I feel that as long as it tastes good now it will taste good later...we'll see if my thoughts are correct. Thanks Revvy...I feel as I've finally graduated to another HBT level, having had you cut and paste knowledge that I could have found if I searched long enough or for the correct thing:D

Just to follow up, this stuff started fermenting a few hours later and activity slowed to a screeching halt sometime last night. I took a hydrometer sample which shows it at 1.012, seems to taste like flat green beer... Now to let it sit about 3 weeks or so in primary and another 3+ in bottles. I'm glad I didn't start this hobby 10 years ago or so, I'd have never been able to wait for the results.

Back